Virus problem- can i delete file?

puma22 10:35 25 Sep 06

Hi, I have picked up a virus on my 2 pen drives (worm/delf). This has caused my computer to not be able to open the pen drives. I am in the middle of resolving this (i think) by unistalling the drivers for the pen drives and then switching off the PC but will post back if this doesnt work.
sorry about the long winded explanation, but the main issue i have is that there is a file on both pen drives which AVG says is the file path where the viruses were found. This is F:\RECYCLER\RECYCLER\autorun. I dont recognise this file as being there before and wondered whether i should delete it?

Many thanks

Diemmess 10:48 25 Sep 06

Can you not - Right click and Format F:
This should wipe absolutely everything off.

puma22 10:56 25 Sep 06

Thanks for the adivce, but I dont want to lose all my files but I am concerned that I dont rcognise the recycler file.

puma22 11:01 25 Sep 06

I havnt been able to sort out the first problem afterall! When i go to my computer and try to open my 2 pen drives, i can see them both but get the error message 'access denied' when i try to open them. I can though, open them from the inital choice box when i first pug them in. Has nayone any suggestion on how to resolve this?

Ta

Diemmess 11:07 25 Sep 06

I would trust AVG and allow it to dispose of Recycler. If AVG says it is a worm, I would take it at face value and not risk leaving it there it to continue?

My own brief attempt with Google click here= seems to confirm AVG's indicator

puma22 11:12 25 Sep 06

Thanks for the quick response!
AVG has, i think, delt with the virus and removed it from both pen drives. What I'm worried aobut is the recycler file which was the actual location of the worm. AVG has left the file alone and I am wondering whether it should be left on the drives. when i open it there is the recycle bin icon in there.
I think I may have to follow your first suggestion to get my drives working proberly and have backed up all the data to my HDD in aticipation of having ot do this.

puma22 13:33 25 Sep 06

Thanks for your help on this. I ahve reformatted both drives and the filed/folders i was worried about have disapeared, so i think they may have been put there by the virus.

All sorted so thanks again.

Diemmess 13:56 25 Sep 06

Thanks for the good news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now