Virus Problem

Les 21:58 04 May 05

My neighbour is, once again, in trouble. He has installed HomeCall Broadband and was immediately in trouble. First IE wouldn't load then, I put another browser on for him, problem solved - or was it? he had a virus alert, and then another, running a scan with AVG found no less than 14 - all went into the 'vault'. Later, I watched him trawl through the net, visiting only reputable sites when his computer, after many not available pages, sloweed down almost to a stop. He stopped it, switched off and then restarted, Another virus alert - then name of this was dropper - a trojan. Anyone have an idea if what is happening, for, as I say, he definately did not open any emails or download anything whilst I was watching.

stalion 22:00 04 May 05

turn off system restore and scan with A2
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 04 May 05

Firewall?
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster (blocker) click here
a2 (trojans) click here

Sounds like you already have a good AVirus prog.

Les 23:25 04 May 05

Stalion and Fruit Bat. I'll see what A2 will do - I've just left him and he swaers that the problem didn't exist before loading the Home Call software. Now he can't get on to the 'net at all and his computer has to be shitched off by medans of the on/off button - the software being ineffective. He's not a happy bunny! Whilst it was working I noticed that it was at 256 k not 500k as advised - too many on at once?

Les 19:52 09 May 05

The neighbour did swicth off System Restore, enter Safe mode and run his AVG, which then removed the virus. However, when he went back to his broadband connection it still came on with the virus again. I've put A2 onto his computer and, when He has the time I'll run the trojan scanner in that.

Les 21:45 20 May 05

Finally, He had time off from his many activities and i was able to remove the trojan and one other virus. Following the advice of someone else on the net (sorry I forget the name but you know who you are ;-)) ) I turned off System Restore, restarted in Safe mode, ran AVG, then deleted the Vault file, Uncoupled his USB Broadband connection, installed Zonealarm, coupled his broadband up again and rebooted his computer. Fingers crossed but the dreaded Virus Alert appear - sigh of relief. Turned System Restore back on. We found that the Broadband was now working at top speed. Thanks for your efforts - they were appreciated.

Les 21:45 20 May 05

Finally, He had time off from his many activities and i was able to remove the trojan and one other virus. Following the advice of someone else on the net (sorry I forget the name but you know who you are ;-)) ) I turned off System Restore, restarted in Safe mode, ran AVG, then deleted the Vault file, Uncoupled his USB Broadband connection, installed Zonealarm, coupled his broadband up again and rebooted his computer. Fingers crossed but the dreaded Virus Alert appear - sigh of relief. Turned System Restore back on. We found that the Broadband was now working at top speed. Thanks for your efforts - they were appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…