Virus Problem

AubreyS 12:40 17 Apr 04

I have my friend's PC here. It's running XP Pro and has Norton Antivirus with the latest updates. When you I run a full scan, it says that it has found a virus but it cannot get rid of it. There is no mention of what it is or where on the PC it is located. HELP!!

Thanks all. A.

VoG II 12:41 17 Apr 04

Probably stuck in a Restore Point - turn off SR, scan again. click here

AubreyS 12:54 17 Apr 04

Yes I tried that. Still got the problem there. I managed to trace 3 of them in the registry and got rid of them. But I'm still left with this one.

AubreyS 13:35 17 Apr 04

Just an update. I've now traced the virus. Its MSSMGRD.EXE Virus name W32.Randex.gen Its loctaed in C:\Windows|system32\ I've just tried delting it, but it will not let me. I went to Symantics site and tried as they suggested and that failed too.

VoG II 13:50 17 Apr 04

Can you try stopping MSSMGRD.EXE in Task Manager, running msconfig and untick from there, restart and see if it can be cleaned.

AubreyS 14:15 17 Apr 04

Thanks VoG. I managed to stop it in task manager but I'm not able to see it in msconfig.

VoG II 14:27 17 Apr 04

If it is not running you may be able to clean it.

You could try regedit and see if there's an entry for it in the registry.

sattman 17:33 17 Apr 04

This will give you more information click here

AubreyS 00:07 18 Apr 04

VoG.

I had already done the registry bit and managed to get rid of all but MSSMGRD.EXE. My friend, whos pc it is, came round with NAV 2004 and we installed that, did the updates... hey presto... its gone. I have no idea why, would be nice to know. But hey, who cares. Its gone and I can throw all the empty scotch bottles away.

Thanks Vog for the help.

Sattman

Thanks for that help. I will file that away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…