A virus or nothing to worry about? Any ideas?

webber_man 09:00 29 Feb 04

Hi,

I'm running XP Pro and have Zone Alarm and AVG AV installed too. I always update my AV programme etc. but still get suspicious when something unusual happens.

About 10 minutes ago i restated my pc after being connectced to the internet for 60+ hours, on restarting a file appeared on my desktop with no file association, the name of the file is backward 'S' on its side with a short line underneath. I have opened the file using Notpad and the data in the file appears to be my address book from Outlook Express!

I have checked the file and it doesn't appear to be infected but all the years ive had a PC this hasnt happened before. Does anyone habe any idea what this is and why it occured?

Thanks.

Rennaissance 09:54 29 Feb 04

yep, just a glicth in outlook express, happens many times. You can safely delete it.

Stuartli 11:26 29 Feb 04

Rennaissance's comment is seconded - the sign is a tilde. Full explanation here:

click here

But it can be worrying when you first come across it.....

webber_man 11:38 29 Feb 04

ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…