VIRUS - or not?

Geord 14:20 31 May 05

My system's been running really slow - memory usage frequently in excess of 90%, and someone suggested there may be a virus running in the background.

I have Zone Alarm installed and a scan showed nothing. I saw the article in the recent magazine so downloaded Counterspy and Webroot SpySweeper - both revealed different adware objects which I have removed

Finally I downloaded a free scan from NoAdware which revealed the following:

W32.Mugly.D
Backdoor.GWGh
VBS.Butterhot

All of these it rates as severe, but not surprisingly won't remove them until I register and pay the fee (no free trial period unfortunately)

I'm a bit sceptical about registering for a number of reasons:

1. I have seen a couple of less favourable reviews about free scans turning up false positives - ie rip-offs

2. Why hasn't Zone Alarm detected any of these viruses?

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should believe the noAdware result, and if so is Zone Alarm reliable?

Also could anyone support the view that it could be a virus slowing down my system, and if this could be the case any suggestions on reliable detection / removal sites / tools?

Windows OS: Me
Memory 256Mb

Many Thanks

flavas 14:28 31 May 05

try using avg anti-virus to check for any viruses click here. What version of zonealarm are you using?
Also try and stop any background processes from initializing on system start up.
Go to start>run and type 'msconfig'
And on the startup tab uncheck the applications that you don't need.

Joe R 14:28 31 May 05
  Geord 14:46 31 May 05

Thanks for these.

Zone Alarm version I'm using is Zone Alarm with Anti Virus version 5.5.

Joe R - Any idea how I decide which of the 4 Beta Updates I would need to run from the link you've supplied? I'd hate to pick the wrong one!

DieSse 17:09 31 May 05

You can get a free 30 day trial of NOD32 at click here

This is probably the best AV available, and will certainly show any viruses in your system - and it is not crippled whilst in trial mode.

The new version also has improved trojan and spyware detection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…