Virus (or not)?

maz2 13:14 15 Apr 04

A friend asked me to look at her PC because as soon as she connects to the internet she gets the message. THIS SYSTEM IS SHUTTING DOWN BY NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM GENERIC HOST PROCESS FOR WIN 32 SERVICES HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM. She has Norton running and it did pop up with the Blaster Worm but said it had fixed it. I have shut down system restore and run Stinger and Fix Blast from symantec both coming up clear, also running Ad-aware and Spywareblaster, but still the same problem occurring. She recently changed from a pay as you go on Supanet to a pay monthly and this has only happened since she changed her dial up number. Has anyone got any ideas, I'm totally stumped now, I was so sure it was Blaster because I cannot get into Windows update either to apply the patches

VoG II 13:21 15 Apr 04

Can you get the patch from click here ?

maz2 13:26 15 Apr 04

I don't know I'm at home now but I have to go back later do I have to apply the patch before I run Fix Blast as I ran that and it said Blaster wasn't on the computer

hinchie Y2K III 13:27 15 Apr 04

hi maz, apply the patch and then run blaster. i dont know if it does anything different the other way round..

maz2 13:31 15 Apr 04

I have the patch on my computer is there any way I can put it on a memory stick to install on hers?

maz2 14:10 15 Apr 04

Any ideas?

mackaycc 14:33 15 Apr 04

To stop the computer from automatically shutting down right-click my computer and select manage> services and applications> services, locate Remote Procedure Call(RPC) (Note: not the locator), right click and go to properties> click the recovery tab and change the three values from restart the computer to take no action. This will stop the computer from restarting while you're on the net. Now get the patch and updates, get rid of the virus and then put RPC back to restart computer.

Taff36 15:03 15 Apr 04

The file is 1.47 Mb and won`t fit on a floppy. Can`t you burn it to a CD and transfer it that way?

Gaz 25 15:14 15 Apr 04

click here

The above program will remove the virus from your system and advise on further steps of protection.

maz2 17:55 15 Apr 04

I managed to download the patch KB824146 installed it, turned off system restore ran Fix Blaster system is showing up as clean, then ran Norton system is also showing up as clean, I have now left them to carry on downloading further XP updates from Windows, but I don't know whether it will make any difference, it seems strange that the system is showing up as clean all the time, also Norton had Blaster in the log file as deleted about 6 times

maz2 17:57 15 Apr 04

Sorry! after downloading the patch from windows would it have allowed me to see it in Fix Blaster or not, or do you think it could be another virus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…