Virus or Malware ATTACK ?????

My Computer has been attacked not by a bad virus more naughty. What has happened is that my C drive which is my only drive is hidden cant access it only through task manager and running new task. and also my rom drive is hidden I have scanned my computer using AVG 8 spybot and ad-aware nothing looks like my registry has changed in some way does anybody have the answer to this problem. many thanks for taking the time to read this note cheers. Drew

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 09 Sep 08

can you see the drives in disk management?

birdface 17:08 09 Sep 08

Maybe try a system restore to a date before you had the problems.

Ditch999 20:38 09 Sep 08

AVG free does not cover

Rootkit infections
Scanning of Downloads
Instant Messaging eg MSN Live, Messenger, Yahoo etc
Virus infected web pages

I would try a different anti-virus programme and run a full scan in safe mode and as buteman suggests, try System Restore whilst in Safe Mode to a date prior to your problem.

birdface 21:34 09 Sep 08

Have you got something against AVG this is not the first thread that you have expressed your dislike of it.Maybe you can tell us all this great freebie that you use that does all that and maybe we will all try it.Like I said before if you have AVG security suite that covers all the programs that you have mentioned.because you do not like it does not mean that everyone else should not like it also.Algz maybe try running Superantispyware may help.Update it and run in safe mode.click here

Ditch999 21:49 09 Sep 08

I'm just letting people know the limitations of AVG. That info is available from the AVG website, but I doubt if people read the small print. A lot of virus infection is done now by websites being hacked and infected; this page may have been hacked as other well known ones have been.

I use Kaspersky, and yes, while it is not free, it was remarkably cheap to put on my 3 PCs for 2 years (£29) and it covers all that AVG does not (but I do know nothing is 100% effective)

I have nothing against AVG and each to their own but you get what you pay for!

p;3 21:50 09 Sep 08

superantispyware has already been recommended so you could also try running a scan in normal mode with the free program called malawarebytes from click here; scroll down to the download tab;do take a system restore point now prior to running it; let us know what if anything it finds

skidzy 22:04 09 Sep 08

" Scanning of Downloads "

Just to make you aware if not already.By default Firefox 3 uses the AVG scanner to scan any downloads before they are opened.

To cancel this procedure (why though is beyond me)

Type about:config in the Firefox location bar and filter for the string browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone. The default value of that parameter is true which means that scans will be done whenever a file is downloaded. Setting it to false will disable the automatic virus scanning in Firefox 3.

Though i use AVG on all my machines,it does have its limitations as do every Anti virus out there.
The best anyone can do is update regularly and scan there downloads before opening.

Drew,run the suggested programs and post back if still in need of help.

p;3 22:14 09 Sep 08

two other gems to suggest
asquared free from click here its relevent exe is click here

suggest fully update it, reboot then run on a full DEEP scan off line

als try the stand- alone tool called Stinger click here

its exe as of 12-8-2008 is click here

run that lot and let us know how things pan out?

provider 2 22:40 09 Sep 08

Some information about what AVG 8.0 does and doesn`t do:
click here

Also AVG 8.0 Free compared to Internet Security:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…