Virus or Mainboard problem?

smudge101 21:15 04 Aug 04

O/S Win XP Pro, Mianboard Asrock K7S8X, I went to boot my computer and recieved a disk read error. I checked the connections (all ok), and from recovery console fixed boot & fixed MBR, still with no effect. Having convinced myself to reinstall I found that the Hard drive appears to have lost its formatting and I cannot reformat from windows setup. Then I lost my IDE drives in the Bios, I cleared the Cmos and Bios now sees the drives but I cannot re install windows. I would suspect a faulty drive but I have two drives (IDE 0 & 1)and the same happens if I try to install on IDE 1. This leads me to believe that there is either a hardware fault with the IDE contoller on the board or I have been hit with a virus.
Does anybody have any clues as to which it may be or have I overlooked anything?
Thanks in advance, Smudge.

Cuddles 21:44 04 Aug 04

Have you tried going to hard drive manufacturers wesite and downloading there diagnostics and running them?

smudge101 21:50 04 Aug 04

I will give it a go but as I say it happens on both drives. However, you have set me thinkink as they are both on IDE channel 1, I will try them on Channel 2.

woodchip 21:56 04 Aug 04

You can Flash the BIOS with a New Bios but it should be a LAST resort. But it will remove the BIOS Virus

smudge101 22:06 04 Aug 04

thanks, I am hoping that I do not have to flash but will if I have to. Have you heard of a virus that can cause this fault?

woodchip 22:20 04 Aug 04

BIOS virus's are old virus's but still around

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…