virus or harware problem on desktop

perry.jacobs.716 21:12 PM 11 Nov 13

My desktop has a problem that im struggling with. When I turn it on sometimes it does not come on, at first I thought it was a monitor problem but the more I look into it I see that its not. Other problems include- -unable to switch it off: when the screen is blank I cant shutdown normally, so I try holding the on/off button for 5 seconds but it wont turn it off. -there is also a light on the front of the machine that says 'HDD'. This normally is on solidly or falshes. When Im having the problems it is not on at all though. -sometimes when I can get it on, if its left for a minute with no use the screen goes black and wont come back.

At the moment I have tried a sytem restore, and s far so good but I think its a hardware issue so Im not sure the restore would fix that so I expect the problems again tomorrow.

Any ideas????

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 PM 11 Nov 13

Make and model of machine?

Windows op system XP, Vista, 7 or 8?

perry.jacobs.716 00:06 AM 12 Nov 13

hi, thanks for the reply

its Windows Vista and make is an LG

thanks

michaelw 09:37 AM 12 Nov 13

It could be hardware or software. I'd suggest going to Trend Housecall click here and run a scan, plus run a scan with MBAN click here option is to tap F8 and run a repair, or run cmd and type in sfc /scannow (although this doesn't work as well in vista as it does in xp for some reason).

If none of this works it's probably hardware.

Another

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites