Virus or Graphics Card issue???

mojo77 12:14 01 Mar 06

I use alot of graphics programs, for example Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

When I try to move things about on the screen in Illustrator the screen freezes up and I get an hour glass. About 30 seconds later (sometimes a minute) the program continues again.

Most of the time, if I can't wait for the program to continue, I can get the screen to work again by disconnecting from the internet. For some reason this jogs the program into life again.

But it's annoying having to disconnect, reconnect everytime I want my program to continue working.

Another problem I have is when I open a folder in Windows explorer and view alot of image files as thumbnails or filmstrip. The Window sometimes closes down automatically without displaying the thumbnails, or Explorer can't function and I need to 'end program'.

I am figuring that I either have a virus or a very slow graphics card issue. I can't think what else is the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas??

3.2Ghz Pentium
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X300 SE PCI-E 128MB
200GB SATA HDD

remind 12:21 01 Mar 06

Sounds more like graphics driver problems. Make sure directx is fully up to date, and get the latest drivers for your ATI - click here

Gongoozler 12:45 01 Mar 06

Have you checked for viruses, adware and other malicious attacks?

mojo77 13:05 01 Mar 06

Hi

The PC was bought from PC world.

Is it still necessary/possible to update a graphics card driver?

Can anyone recommend a good free virus/adware/virus removal software?

Cheers!

mojo77 13:08 01 Mar 06

Hi again.

Here's a link to look at my Task Manager. (I posted this question on another PC Help Forum which allows for images to be attached)

click here

Gongoozler 13:42 01 Mar 06

Free antivirus Avast (my favourite) click here, or AVG (equally good and very popular) click here (but only ever run one AV at a time.

Free anti adware AdAware click here or Spybot S&D click here

Free firewall ZoneAlarm click here

mojo77 13:58 01 Mar 06

Hi

I have Norton Antivirus and Sygate Firewall.

However would having Limewire be creating any problems? Especially if you allow Limewire access to your Firewall (i.e. if you select 'unblock' next to the Limewire program in your Firewalls applications list?

Is Zonealarm better than Sygate?

citadel 14:38 01 Mar 06

I would upgrade the graphics card as it is a very poor card, even if it is not the cause of your problem.

Gongoozler 14:41 01 Mar 06

Sygate is also a very effective firewall, and is generally accepted to be equal in performance to ZoneAlarm. A can't see that Limewire is a problem. A firewall is mainly about protecting the integrity of your personal data on the computer and so is unlikely to be the issue here.
I've had a quick look at your list of running processes in your link, and although I need time to study it, I think there may be a few problems there. Meanwhile I strongly advise you to run AdAware to see if that can find anything.

Gongoozler 15:03 01 Mar 06

I've had a look at your running processes (just by looking them up via Google), and this is what I've found:

BIGFIX.EXE. This is used to automatically receive and read technical support information provided by computer and software manufacturers and other technical support experts.
Also can automatically check your computer for bugs, configuration conflicts, and security holes. It is a resource hog, so should be disabled from starting up automatically and only started when you need it.

WUAUCLT.EXE. This is ok as long as it’s in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

MSMSGS.EXE is MSN Messenger. If you don't need it, you should be able to remove it via Add/Remove programs in Control panel.

All the others are legitimate processes.

mojo77 15:41 01 Mar 06

Thanks Gongoozler

I can uninstall BigFix as it is a program that was pre-installed on my PC (along with other useless programs such as Microsoft Money, Microsoft works, AOL, etc)

In terms of WUAUCLT.EXE. How do I check that it’s in the C:\Windows\System32 folder? I looked but I can't find it. And what is it?

I take your point - citadel - it isn't a very good graphics card, especially for the type of programs I use. But would this be the cause of some of my programs freezing up?

Is it easy to install a new graphics card in a shop bought PC? Can I do it (as a novice)?

Cheers for all your ongoing advice by the way :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos