Virus onslaught

Blake 17:30 26 Jan 03

I've received 3 mails in the last 2 weeks containing the Klez virus which have been immediately identified and deleted thanks to my anti virus software. I've also received other unidentified mails which I've deleted.
Is this all I should do or is their some way to identify (and report) where they are coming from?

Lú-tzé 17:38 26 Jan 03

Best thing to do is delete the emails with virus.

If you know the originator (not always the person named in the from address) then let them know that they have a virus.

Try mailwasher which will allow you to bounce / delete unwanted emails. click here

DieSse 17:40 26 Jan 03

This is all you should do. Klez can spoof email addresses, so the email is not always coming from the addressee.

Only 3 - lucky you!!

Andsome 18:23 26 Jan 03

Just be grateful that you have the common sense to keep an up to date AV program. Just think of the number of moans that we have seen here from people who thought that they were immune, simply because they did not go online very often for e-mails. Like wise firewalls, I would not venture on line without mine.

Forum Editor 18:36 26 Jan 03

to try and track down the source of viruses. In the main you'll be wasting your time, so just delete the files and carry on.

Blake 19:09 26 Jan 03

Thanks.
My AV is kept up to date and my firewall seems pretty good.
Just a shame these jerks try to ruin things.

Short Thoughts 21:43 26 Jan 03

Not necessarily so Forum Editor!

It may interest you to know that I got a virus onslaught from an unknown PC a few months ago and managed to track down the offending PC (a friend's) by emailing all of my contacts asking them if they had the name that was supposedly sending me the virus in THEIR address book.

Of course being
a)computer savvy &
b) fed up to the hilt with recieving these viruses, I very kindly went over and fixed the ***?*^! problem.

woodchip 22:14 26 Jan 03

As I have never had prob with a virus, can they get entry just from the text file. Or do you have to open a attachment

woodchip 22:27 26 Jan 03

woodchip 22:38 26 Jan 03

VoG™ 22:43 26 Jan 03

I think that you have to open the attachment. However there are some that will open automatically if you use the preview pane. The bug fixes from MS have addressed that in both Outlook and Outlook Express. It is difficult to see how a simple text could be a virus (Exception: the EICAR test virus).

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…