Virus not by me!

bellababy 15:11 16 May 06

I have accumulated several e-mail address's over the past few years. Today one of them received an e-mail with an attachment which contained a virus, supposedly sent from one of my other e-mail address's, I'm pretty sure it was not sent by that address named. Since I was aware that it contained a virus I deleted it so no harm was done. What bothers me is that the same source could be sending out this virus and using my name. Anyone out there got any ideas on this or who can offer any help?

uesquebeathus 15:23 16 May 06

email viruses often use the address books in computers and spoof the addressee as a sender, the originating computer may not be the address on the email as Viruses are often setup with their own email servers again spoofing data and real servers. There used to be tools which could be used to back direct the address to the origin but they mostly are now useless in detecting origens as the spoofing is hides the information.

bellababy 15:40 16 May 06

uesquebeathus. Thanks for your response. Wouldn't you think that it would be possible for the ISP to do some sort of check to block this behavior before it gets sent? Or any ISP that is lax in this respect being blocked altogether from the internet community.

woodchip 15:45 16 May 06

Go to your Address book put a X before each, when you use one just remove the X

woodchip 15:45 16 May 06

PS you need to keep it up todate

woodchip 15:46 16 May 06

Something as been reading your address book for E-Mails

bellababy 16:07 16 May 06

woodchip.
Wouldn't it be a little late for that now? Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted so to speak! If 'it' has got he address's not much I can do about it now I would think.

woodchip 16:10 16 May 06

Well no more horses are going to get out if you do it. as more address's are going to end up in it

woodchip 16:13 16 May 06

The point of the X is they will be returned to you if the X as not been removed. Would you rather that a program sent a Virus or Malaware from your computer to a friend. As it's always done on auto

bellababy 16:20 16 May 06

woodchip.
I understand what your saying but I really don't think that it was sent from this PC. I have some bogus address's in my address's book to warn me should it be sending out unauthorised e-mails which would then be returned to me. This so far has not happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…