Virus knocked out my computer!!!!

imzy 21:11 03 Aug 04

Hi all.

I was using a computer running Windows XP and I cought this very nasty bug.

One minute it was fine and then 50 pop-up adds came up telling me I have a virus and offering links to get rid of it. I tried closing down the pop-ups but the were popping up faster than I could close them.

Now my computer won't boot to windows and I can't even seem to get into Safe Mode.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Inzy

hssutton 21:22 03 Aug 04

This happened to my son over the weekend. He went to the PCpitstop site, misread the instructions and switched off his firewall. his Pc was flooded with them. I reformatted his H/drive as it seemed the quickest and best way forward.

Dan the Confused 21:30 03 Aug 04

Have a look at click here and try the bootcfg command.

imzy 21:32 03 Aug 04

Thanks hssutton

I considered that solution but would like to use it as a last resort. I would rather get it up and running with files intact, if I can.

Does anyone know of any way to make this happen?

Dan the Confused 21:44 03 Aug 04

The fixboot and fixmbr commands might be worth a try too.

imzy 22:07 03 Aug 04

Thanks Dan the Confused but I think I will just go with hssutton's advice. I have backed up most of my files to this seems like the easiest option. Thanks anyway.

THE TERMINATOR 00:57 04 Aug 04

If you have a bootup floppy with cd-rom drivers on it, why not reinstall windows from DOS?...TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…