virus keeps me rebooting

PvG 07:01 30 Aug 06

After a new installation, I got 6 viruses as soon as I went online. Did a virus scan which found 6, a second scan which found none. Now have the system continually running in a bebooting sequence. I can run in Safe Mode and have used Reg Scrub, Trojan Hacker but can't use AVG as it won't load in Safe Mode. Where is this virus "operating" and if I reinstall XP, will it be got rid of?
Thanks
PvG

Diodorus Siculus 07:38 30 Aug 06

click here
McAfee Inc. - Stinger

Boot into safemode and run this.

PvG 08:09 30 Aug 06

The check came back as "clean".
What now?

PvG 08:12 30 Aug 06

The other visuses were winamp.exe, IRC/Backdoor.sdBot VQJ, Trojan Horse Proxy CZN, Trojan Horse Generic2.DR
As this was immediately after a new installtion, how about a re-install to make life easier?
To keep teh system rebooting, where is the virus sitting and would the reinstall mean that EVERYTHING is then clean?

xania 08:52 30 Aug 06

A reinstallation would certainly save the situation, but this must be total. You will need to completely delete your virus first, and this can really only be done by reformating your hard disk (partition) and then running a clean installtion. However, you also need to think how those viruses got on your PC in the first place. Make sure that you do not connect your PC to the internet until you have installed both your Virus checker and any software firewall (I assume you have broadband rather than dial-up, and also, until you have downloaded all the latest updates to Windows and your virus checker etc, make sure you have the strongest possible level of security set up (trusted sites only).

PvG 23:58 30 Aug 06

Just to say thanks for your help.
Decided to re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…