Virus inundated computer

Uri 00:39 02 Dec 03

I've the chance of a good spec oldish computer for the price of a couple of pints. Trouble is, it's been entirely inundated with viruses and I understand cant be made to go to safe start up. There is the usual start for a minute or two, then a virus warning from AVG. It seems that the AVG couldn't have been at all effective, because it cant be prompted to ignore the virus. Any key used generates (eventually) a message that the memory is fully taken up and that programmes should be deleted in order for it to function. I'm paraphrasing this because I've not seen messages myself. My question to anyone good enough to answer (and has the knowledge!) is, can anything be done to get rid of the inundation cheaply? There is no recovery disk incidentally.

smegs 00:46 02 Dec 03

Format the hard drive and C what happens.

Jester2K II 07:33 02 Dec 03

Either

1) Scan in Safe Mode

or

2) Remove the hard drive insert into another PC as a slave and scan the drive in there.

dazzling (work) 10:19 02 Dec 03

uri do you have a windows disk if yes follow smegs advice if not follow jesters advice if it will let you.i use avg and have never had a virus but if you dont update it it wont work.darren

Uri 13:34 02 Dec 03

The computer wont start in safe mode. Cant even get the menu by holding down ctrl key at start. AVG res. shield appears "trojan Horse psw.silentlog.A c.windows\guid32.dll. Only responds to "A" key=run AVG etc... in seconds the message 2there is not enough free memory to run this programme. Quit one or more progs and try again" Sandtimer present thro' out and computer wont respond at all. There isn't a windows disk.
Thanks smegs, Jester, and Darren. I'll try using the hard drive as a slave addition to another computer. Doesn't seem to be anything else that would restore it, does there?

smegs 14:35 02 Dec 03

click here go here and get a boot disk. Don't just put the hard drive in another pc with the Virus still on there. It will proberly transfer to the master hard drive. Format first. C if format solves the virus, then put the hard drive in as a slave.

pj123 18:03 02 Dec 03

The first thing is to get yourself a bootdisk as smegs suggests. Then make sure the the BIOS is set to start from floppy disk. Now restart the computer with the bootdisk in and when you get to the A:\ prompt type in fdisk and press enter. Follow the prompts to partition (you will probable need to delete all previous partitions and start again) the disk and then format it. Once that is done restart the computer (with the bootdisk in) and then insert the Operating System CD in and change to the CD drive and type setup and press enter. Follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…