Virus Info

woodchip 22:40 26 Jan 03

As I have never had prob with a virus, can they get entry just from the text E-Mail file. Or do you have to open an attachmen or run an exe file

Lozzy 22:48 26 Jan 03

Attachment is the main way a virus gains access.. Just make sure to have a good Anti-Virus program and keep it upto date..

woodchip 22:51 26 Jan 03

It’s just that I have never had one. the Antivirus That I run Does not ever need to download update dat files it places a small file in program etc and any movement's other than what are legal get stopped

obbit 22:55 26 Jan 03

Hi woodchip.............i have not had virus but my understanding is you have to usually open the email with some or open the attachment that has an exe file. but there are other files that will carry virus.

recently there is reports of emails infecting by hust landing in your inbox.

do you have AVG or other anti-virus? AVG will check incoming emails.

also some viruses will turn off anti-virus and firewalls.

so if you get infected find out which the method is of getting rid of it.

there are viruses writen every day. so who knows what we will get next.

always update your anti virus is the simple answer at the moment

obbit

bvw in bristol 22:56 26 Jan 03

It's possible to get a virus that activates just by reading an email. No attachment is necessary. A recent virus known as Wscript.KakWorm spread by taking advantage of a security hole in Microsoft Outlook Express. Many people became infected even though there was no attachment to the email.

Information on this can be found here:click here

woodchip 22:57 26 Jan 03

Achilles Shield Anti-Virus software for about 6 years

woodchip 23:00 26 Jan 03

I do not think that it could do that read my above post as it would stop it installing on my drive

bvw in bristol 23:13 26 Jan 03

[email protected] is a mass-mailing worm that sends itself to all addresses in the Microsoft Outlook Address Book.

The subject of the email is: Attention virus.
There is no attachment. The worm is contained within the HTML body of the email message.

The worm overwrites all .vbs, and .vbe files with itself and attempts to crash the computer by continuously opening instances of Notepad.

From:[email protected]" title="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here

Woodchip, I know the anti virus you use as you have posted a link before, the fact you have never had a problem proves it works :o)

For those who view these threads each day, there are viruses around that don't always need an attachment.

woodchip 23:23 26 Jan 03

Thank's for that info so it look's like I have no worries then as it would stop that kind of activity strait away, looks like I can close this thread but I will leave it open till tomorrow just in case

jazzypop 01:11 27 Jan 03

Don't relax too much, if you are using the original Achilles Shield...

"My InDefense has been working great, why should I upgrade?

InDefense was designed specifically to detect and prevent damage from viruses. Other types of malicious code are now becoming very common, and in many cases they don't replicate or modify other executable files, activity that could be detected by InDefense.

To provide more protection from these types of programs, you need to upgrade to Achilles'Shield 3.0. As with InDefense 2.10, Achilles'Shield does not require virus signature updates."

Source - click here - 'General Information' link

woodchip 16:20 27 Jan 03

That's what I have got. first version was InDefense 2.10 but it was upgraded for free I have all the older versions on CD Thank's Woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…