Virus infection

Esso43 21:28 21 Mar 05

I am trying to clean up a machine from various infections.

I have installed norton Internet Security and managed to update it. Have also installed and Spybot S&D.

Run scans etc with both and appear to fix lots of infections. BUT

Still have a number of attempts to access the internet which Norton appears to block. BUT repeatedly alerts to the attempts (even when there is no connection).

And now it is proving impossible to get onto the ineternet with or wothout the firewalls etc on.

Any ideas would be welcome especially as it is my partners mother's machine.

sinbad1 21:41 21 Mar 05

try some of these free virus scans to make sure
click here
best not to rely on one av

sinbad1 21:43 21 Mar 05

also try this free utility click here

Jak_1 21:52 21 Mar 05

What programs are attempting to access the internet? WMP and Real player will attempt this when you are off line as will some others.

ctrl + alt+ del will tell you what programs are running. Anything unusual will be seen here.

Esso43 22:27 21 Mar 05

Thanks guys I will try some otehr av's as suggested and from reading elsewhere otehr anti adaware/spyware.

Any idea's what the name of the programmes that those packages use to access their websites?

Any ideas why I cannot get on teh internet at all now?

This is of course a different machine.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:41 21 Mar 05

Download click here and click here Run both and delete ALL they find.

G

Ironman556 02:15 22 Mar 05

click here

Run hijack this first from click here and remove any entries than you know are bad, if you're unsure of any post them here.

If possible I find it easier to disconnect the PC you're fixing from the internet to start with which stops junk being redownloaded. Download all the utils to your PC and transfer them on CD. Once the PC's cleaned up you can then worry about getting back on the internet.

Esso43 15:10 05 Apr 05

Thanks for your help on this in the end the solution was to reformat the hard disks, becasue Windows had become so corrupted that the Evesham help people suggested give up reformat.

My girlfriends motehr is waiting for the appropriate disck as the one she has will not allow her to do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…