Virus identified I-Worm/Sobig

TBH1 15:50 26 Apr 03

Have just downloaded and run anti-virus AVG6 - - and a bit dismayed to find I have a virus which the software is unable to remove. It gives the option to remove but then is unable to do so - C:\WINDOWS\WINMGM32.EXE Virus identified I-Worm/Sobig.
Is there a way to remove this ? If not, can I remove this winmgm32.exe file and copy from an un-infected PC ?
Grateful for any help here.

JoeC 15:53 26 Apr 03

Symantec at click here
and type in Sobig, there is removal instructions and a removal tool.

mikef™ 15:54 26 Apr 03

A removal tool is available here w32.sobig.a@mm.removal.tool.html" title="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.a@mm.removal.tool.html" TARGET="_new">click here

JoeC 15:55 26 Apr 03

Security Response and removal tool is down right side.

howard60 15:55 26 Apr 03

normally avg sticks an infected file in its virus vault and quarantines it. R you sure it has not done that?

mikef™ 15:57 26 Apr 03

Sorry forgot norton links go funny try click here and wait for redirect.

TBH1 16:00 26 Apr 03

howard60 - - am absolutely positive it hasn't - - told me it couldn't.
Gonna look at these other links now
Am impressed with quick response here by the way- - -particularly as footie season ain't finished yet !!!

TBH1 17:40 26 Apr 03

JoeC - followed your links - now sorted - - and a big thank you. Thanks to all other contributors here too and howard60, if my remark to you sounded 'short' or offensive to you, I apologize, it didn't mean to come out like that.

ferret1041 21:21 26 Apr 03

can anyone help me? I have a "resident memory virus" which causes my computer to freeze after about 10 mins, can this be fixed by norton or avg6?

graham√ 21:32 26 Apr 03

Click on 'Start new subject'. 'Resident memory virus' would be a good heading. All the boffins will swoop down with advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…