Virus - "I-Worm/Sobig"

g0slp 14:54 10 Mar 03

Just had an email from "[email protected]" land in my Inbox. Title was "Here's that Sample", with a 65.9Kb attachment. Obviously ran AVG on it as it was suspicious. Sure enough, a virus, per the title of this posting. Have deleted same, after advising my ISP's Abuse team, but is there any organisation which actively hunts down these sickos who write these things, other than if it affects national security.....

This posting also meant as a warning to fellow forum members to watch out for it

Regards
g0slp

Stuartli 16:06 10 Mar 03

Been around for a bit in several forms; going to the Symantec website will provide the means to get rid of it for those who use NortonAV.

NAV will remove one of these viruses but you have to use the website facility to get rid of the "sample" version.

Have had them from Tiscali in recent weeks but, fortunately, NAV picks them up immediately.....:-)

pac66 22:25 12 Mar 03
  g0slp 05:51 13 Mar 03

I've blocked the sender in OE, but these things never seem to come from the same "sender" twice!. Heigh-ho! We can but try.

Valvegrid 07:14 13 Mar 03

g0slp? Hi just wondered if there was any significance in you name, because my ham radio call is G4LNA, sorry nothing to do with viruses :-)
Paul.

Andsome 08:17 13 Mar 03

Install Spam Pal from the CD on this months PCA magazine

MichelleC 08:51 13 Mar 03

Yep, I got it too and NAV quickly got rid of it.

g0slp 22:51 13 Mar 03

It hadn't been seen for a while, & it does no harm to warn folk if one of these wretched things starts "doing the rounds"

To Valvegrid - yes. Will contact you off-list.

Thanks, as always, to all who responded

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…