Virus on friends laptop, advice needed pls

julius44 06:19 15 Sep 10

Hello there and good morning, i'm meant to see a friend of mine in a few days, and he rang me to say that his laptop has been infected. He also stated that he's got mccafee(which i think is utter rubbish, lol), but also when the scan gets to 30% it just freezes. and shuts him out. He also said that his mcafee just gets to around 30% and freezes in safe mode too.
I've told him to leave the laptop off till i come round in a few days.
And this is what I intend to do:
I've downloaded the Kaspersky removal tool from here:click here
Then ive installed it on my usb flash drive, then and ive also downloaded the mccafee removal tool as well to REMOVE mccafee fron his laptop, due to the fact that kaspersky doesn't work with mccafeee.
IN safe mode, So remove mccafee first, then install the kaspersky, scan the whole computer, for viruses....hopefully ALL virus found and removed, and then when laptop reboots, i have a copy of kaspersky internet security 2009 on cd 5 user, install thais on his laptop, and then upgrade to 2011.
I have Kaspersky 2011 on my pc anyway, and ive been using kaspersky for around 4 yrs, after a nasty virus hit my desktop when mccafee was installed, lol. Kaspersky has NEVER let me down
So guys do u think this should work pls??

PS....how do i get to safe mode on a vista laptop pls??

Taff™ 07:21 15 Sep 10

The chances are that the computer isn`t infected by a virus at all. Despite what you say Mcafee is a very good anitivirus program. What makes your friend think it is infected?

Most likely is that he`s picked up malware and I would agree that Mcafee isn`t particularly good at stopping these infect the computer, particularly if your friend has unsuspectingly clicked on a website link or e-mail attachment and "Invited" the program to install.

click here and download Malwarebytes Free Edition. Then click here and download the Portable Version of SAS.

I would run these even before removing Mcafee or installing another antivirus program. If it is malware the chances are that the malware infection will also prevent any updates of these programs anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now