Virus found !!! - HELP

Dirty Dick 09:28 21 Jul 04

I am running XP Pro on my laptop with AVG installed AND up to date. A Dialogue box has popped up saying a virus has been located and to remove it I should run AVG for Windows. I have done this and AVG said no virus has been located. AVG said the virus can be located in
"C:\System Volume Information\_restore( Followed by lots of numbers )exe

Can anyone help please

jonnytub 09:34 21 Jul 04

turn off sys restore, navigate to where the virus is located through explorer, manually delete it, empty recycle bin, reboot, switch sys restore back on.

Al94 10:01 21 Jul 04

Download the 30 day trial of AVG 7, that will probably fix it.It seems to find viruses in restore files, did for me anyway. Uninstall free version of AVG6 first, you can always reinstall it.

Dirty Dick 10:06 21 Jul 04

jonnytub - I've turned off restore but can't locate it through explorer. Any help appreciated

Al94 - I'm already running AVG 7

The Dark Sage 10:11 21 Jul 04

the virus will have been deleted,as turning off restore deletes the restore points saved on your PC.

Should be ok now as long as you don't get it again!

Make sure that you turn your system restore back on though

nhojnhoj35 10:14 21 Jul 04

if its in a `restore point` then it will only be installed if you do a system restore won`t it?

if someone can confirm thats right then just wait a week or so and delete all but the most recent restore points by running disk cleanup and then selecting the `more options tab`.

temp003 10:15 21 Jul 04

The virus has been backed up in System Restore. Once you've turned off System Restore, that should get rid of the virus in the System Volume Information\_restore folder. Just restart. Then do another scan to be sure.

Dirty Dick 10:20 21 Jul 04

temp 003 - Although AVG said I had a virus, when I did a manual scan, it didn't pick it up.

Thanks for all your help

Androcles 10:50 21 Jul 04

I picked up the same virus,download "A2free"
go off the net turn off sys restore run A2 then turn sys restore back on.

jonnytub 11:41 21 Jul 04

you should really reboot as viruses can be tricky little b*^>ers. this method ensures that it isn't hiding in any temporary area waiting to reinstall itself at the earliest oportunity. finding the file maybe be a littlen trickier, simply delete all restore points, then when your done and virus free, create a new one just incase.

jonnytub 11:44 21 Jul 04

A2Free found here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…