normskiii 09:33 12 Oct 03

something very nasty appears to have happened.

on 'boot-up found all desktop icons duplicated................

then when surfing typing 'e would re-launch internet explorer and 'r launch run a program.
I have no idea what has caused this and please can anyone offer a fix............many thanks.

The Spires 09:42 12 Oct 03

If are you running XP or ME, have you tried running system restore to a date before the problem. There may be nothing sinister about it other than a registry corruption or damaged file. It happens often for reasons unknown such as power spikes etc. A similar kind of issue seems to affect the female human on a monthly basis or even more often. ;-)

normskiii 09:49 12 Oct 03

its win 98.......on HP Omnibook

The Spires 10:01 12 Oct 03

In the startup menu choose the option for safe mode command prompt only.

At the C:\> prompt, type: "cd\windows\command" (no quotes, which should take you into the Windows command directory.

In this directory type scanreg

Once in the Scanreg window choose the option to backup if prompted, and once backed up, you should have a listing of the previously backed up registry. Restore the registry with the oldest date.

Gaz 25 01:57 13 Oct 03

click here and run an online virus scan.

normskiii 18:46 14 Oct 03

thanks to 'The Spires' problem solved. and all who took the time to reply to my query.....

The Spires 08:20 16 Oct 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…