Virus disabling internet connection

Mikeonfreeserve 21:10 19 Nov 03

I'm not as computer savvy as some of you guys. Can I relate a problem and see if anyone else has experience of it?

I could not connect. R clicking Internet Explorer and checking properties and connection showed that the Never dial a connection button was checked. I checked the Always dial default connection button, clicked Apply and restarted. No joy and the Never Dial button was still checked.

I went to Device Manager and modem was present and working properly.

I went to msconfig and checked start menu items and there were lots of anti virus .exe files which I've never installed. I use Trend Penicillin anti virus software. Strange thing was that in the body of the start up menu box there were no entries after the tick box item i.e. not the usual file string just a series of about a dozen blank spaces.

One of the ticked boxes was for "crss.exe".

I went to my windows folder and there was a pic icon labeled crss.exe and 2 notepad files which I looked at and found a whole string of .exe commands about 20 or more for stuff I've never had.

Anyway, I crossed my fingers and deleted the notepad files and rebooted.

Next I got a lot of cyrillic(?) script before Windows 98 booted up. I had to hit Esc to continue boot up.

Mercifully, I was able to connect and get this message onto the board.

Is there a new virus doing the rounds and does anyone have a link to an unpicking site which can fix it?

Sorry for the length of this.

If anyone wants to mail me you can get me at [email protected].

Thanks.

VoG II 21:43 19 Nov 03

click here

If you are saying that Trend did not pick this up I suggest that you ditch Trend and get something better AVG is free click here

Try an on-line scan click here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…