Virus Detection and Cure

Mananin 13:56 26 Jun 05

Either I have been lucky up to now or my AV progs have been working.
Over the weekend my AVG (free) has thrown up 3 Trojan horse virus infection warnings.
These are:
Downloader.Small.42.M located in C:\BLA.EXE
Downloader.Generic.JW located in C:\Temp\SS.STOPSIGN[1].EXE
Downloader.Small.42.M located in C:\Windows\Temp Int Files\ Content.IE5 ZVLA2HAY\AY[1].CLASS

I find that a folder has been set up in C:\ drive named $virus$.avg and I presume this is the Virus Vault referred to in the progs Test Center. In this folder are 3 files with unknown names but I assume they are, or are copies of, the offending files.
As I have the free version of AVG I do not think I have access to a virus encyclopedia and therefor do not know how bad the virus are or how they can be cured.
The AVG prog does not appear to be able to heal any of the virus as that operation in the tool bar has a cross on it for each virus.
Assistance is sought on:
1 How serious are the virus (virii?)
2 Are the files in the $virus$.avg folder just backups OR do the virus files still exist in their original folder. Although I can not spot them.
3 Must I find the original virus file and delete it OR can I just delete the backup.
4 Any other advice.

Thanks in advance.
Mananin

My Computer Specification:-
Mbd.- MSI MS 6340M v. 5; AMD Duron XP 1200 Mhz; Video-Pro Savage S3; Audio- Via AC 67
Windows 98SE; Internet Explorer 6.0.28; Outlook Express 5.5 .
ISP is BT Yahoo (PAYG) with Pop-up Blocker and Spam Guard.
Protection:- Grisoft AVG 7; Norton AV 4.0; Spybot S & D 1.3.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:14 26 Jun 05

click here download and run to clear all the temp files. Then download Sunbelt counterspy click here it is a free trial and you only have to give your email addy. Run it and delete all it finds. Start up in safe mode and delete bla.exe if it is still there.

You can delete all the files in the AVG vault.

AVs will not always stop Trojans, if you unwittingly execute the programme no amount of firewalls and AVs will stop it. Sunbelt does provide 'real-time' protection though and it is free for a month or so. Worth paying for IMHO as it is virtually the same as MS Antispy but it can run on other OS's than just XP. MS Antispy will only run on XP.

G

Mananin 14:41 26 Jun 05

Thanks for response G.
Will try suggestions.
Have tried locating the files in the folders quoted but unable to locate even though I should be able to see "hidden" files.
Are the virus files some form of hidden "hidden" files and part of their structure is to make them non-viewable?
Mananin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…