virus detected from your cover disk?

haggis ok 13:06 24 Mar 04

I tried installing "made safe" from the cover disk,during installation I recieved the following message from my avg anti virus guard.
c:\programs files\solarsoft\madesafe\ar403239.rra
contains code of the virus"tr/FlashKiller.b

any ideas as to whats going on I could turn off the anti virus guard and install it but I would like your imput before I do this
thanks for your help.

Cook2 13:17 24 Mar 04

click here Looks nasty.

MidgetMan 14:11 24 Mar 04

I would be very suprised if there is a virus on the coverdisk for several reasons 1) this forum would be inundated with angry posts. 2) the mag takes great care to ensure that the master disk is virus free, ergo all copies will be as well.

Could just be a false alarm from AVG?. have you tried scanning the disk with another av?.

xania 14:22 24 Mar 04

One of the problems of virus checkers is 'false positives' and most reputable companies have ways of overcoming these that the freebies may not possess. The possibility of PCA having a virus on its CD, whilst not impossible, is very unlikely, so I would suggest that the file in question probably has some code that looks like a virus but is not, and a good virus checker will simply ignore it.

Frankly, with Norton now on Ebay at £8 with a year of updates included, why bother with dubious free virus protetion?

romanab 14:37 24 Mar 04

I have just scanned the disc with f-secure 2004 and it found nothing, so I would be inclined to think that it was a false positive.

keith-236785 14:44 24 Mar 04

my suggestion would be to do an online scan of the cd with click here, that would eliminate the virus checker element.

if it still reports a virus then last thing to do is test on a friends computer (as long as they have a virus checker)

'Dubious free virus protection' ?

AVG is a very good anti virus piece of software, simply paying somone does not equate to a better product.

I have tried numerous products, some high priced (free though i should admit, to myself, my wife works for large US IT company) and found no real difference.

Gandalph has posted at length on this subject

xania 19:23 24 Mar 04

We will agree to differ.

jimmer409® 19:43 24 Mar 04

agree haggis, installed the panda program, totally trashed my computer, finially restored from the safe mode using xp, none of my other programs would work (rosio go back) my experiance is that almost all the supposed free program attached to magazines are crap (to put it bluntly), why not just reduce the price of the mags and leave off the crap cd-roms. I truely never expected a disc attached to pc advisor to cause so much grief. anyone else had problems?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 19:51 24 Mar 04

Just tested mine off the may edition and found no virus on it,could you have had the virus code already on pc?.Infact i cant even find the made safe program on the cd lol.

haggis ok 09:54 25 Mar 04

thanks to everone who responded,I use blueyonder
narrowband and they have a new virus detection system,I first learned of this when I recieved 4 emails (one from myself)that contained various viruses in the one day, according to blueyonder they detected and cleaned the emails,I thought what an excellent service, but wonder why I got these viruses the very week blueyonder started its new service,I remain unconvinced that the virus was contained on the cover disc even though
the avg program pointed to the disc,I got rid of it by typing in the virus name in the find files section and dumped it,my pc at restart would not load windows,it said some driver files had been corrupted,I managed to get round it and have updated the avg,so fingers crossed everything seems ok,again many thanks for all who posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…