Virus in C:\System Volume Information\Restore

Jester2K II 16:21 17 Aug 03

If your AV detects a virus in the C:\System volume information\Restore\..... etc directory this means System Restore has backed up the Virus and your AV can't delete it. Windows protects these files for obvious reasons.

The virus cannot harm your PC directly from the System Restore folder.

To remove the virus from there you need to flush System Restore.

Windows Me

1. Click Start, Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click the System icon. The System Properties dialogue box appears.

NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.

3. Click the Performance tab, and then click File System.
4. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore.
5. Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

Once you have cleaned the virus or other problem from the computer, re-enable System Restore by following these directions

To enable Windows Me System Restore:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System, and then click the Performance tab.
3. Click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab.
4. Uncheck Disable System Restore.
5. Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

Windows XP

You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this. If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed.
Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points.
To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown in this illustration:
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
8. Proceed with what you need to do; for example, virus removal. When you have finished, restart the computer and follow the instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore.

To turn on Windows XP System Restore:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Uncheck "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives."
5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Also read - click here

Barrie_G 16:42 17 Aug 03

Hi, have you started doing tutorials now or is this part of a thread?

Djohn 16:44 17 Aug 03

Ta very much for your help and guide with this problem. j.

Jester2K II 17:14 17 Aug 03

There have been quite a few "i got a virus AVG can't remove. Its in C:\System Volume Information\Restore....." threads recently. Just thought i'd put the info in a thread so it can be linked to rather than people having to type out the same info all the time.

Should have one for "i can't defrag past 10%...." and "I got the jmbergr.exe virus etc etc"...

powerless 17:16 17 Aug 03

I think "How do i use the Search facility" should be your your first one.

(although it has caught me a few times)

Barrie_G 17:29 17 Aug 03

just joking, I think that its a great idea, on the same sort of theme it would be an idea if the powers that be here on the site could possibly devote a few megs of space for a section on as you say the most asked about questions, sort of a common problems section, though I would probably refrain from calling it an FAQ as most people would think that it was an FAQ about the site rather than more useful info.

Jester2K II 17:34 17 Aug 03

i knew that ;-)

Would be handy to have a Top 50 Questions section on hereb thopugh but for its worth having the odd thread that explains it so we can all link to it when we see a familar question!!

Jester2K II 08:30 18 Aug 03

bump and close

Jester2K II 08:51 22 Aug 03

Bump in the light of SoBig.f

Jester2K II 14:20 28 Nov 03

powerless 18:45 28 Nov 03

You do not have to actually delete all restore points to clear a virus in C:\System Volume Information\Restore

You can actually gain acces to the folder and delete the file with the infection.

But the file could be important so it will be a bit of a hit and miss as to wheather the system would restore ater the deletion of this file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…