Virus can't be removed

Throbber 10:17 27 Sep 05

My McAfee virus scanner [up to date] has detected a virus "The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll is infected by the W32/Alemod.e.dll virus and cannot be cleaned"

McAfee can't clean, quarantine or delete the infected file. Anyone know how to kill it?

Throbber 10:40 27 Sep 05

Same as above applies to trojan found which McAfee can't get rid of.
"The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp8F86.tmp is infected by the Puper.dll trojan and cannot be cleaned."
I deleted this file manually, but it reappeared on restart.
Anyone know how to kill it?

MAJ 10:44 27 Sep 05

Rename the infected wininet.dll to wininet.old and Windows should replace it with a new version. If it isn't replaced then copy a new wininet.dll file from C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. If all is well you can then delete the wininet.old file (from Safe Mode, if necessary).

**Note** I have assumed you're using Windows XP, as you didn't say which OS you're using.

MAJ 10:46 27 Sep 05

To avoid confusion it's better if you start your own thread. Don't forget to state your Operating System.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 27 Sep 05

1. to prevent virus returning on restart you need to scan and clean/delete with system restore switched off.

2. try scanning in safe mode thi may allow the file to be deleted.

Throbber 11:03 27 Sep 05

Thanks, MAJ, your fix seems to have sorted the virus. I'll take your advice and start another thread for the trojan {remembering this time to state my OS!]

MAJ 11:09 27 Sep 05

That was my mistake (still half asleep) I thought someone else was butting in on your thread.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has said, you now need to turn off system restore to delete any infected restore points, then re-scan to make sure the virus is gone, if the scan is clear, re-activate system restore to create a new clean restore point.

Once again, apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…