Virus blocking me accessing websites??

Axii9 00:44 03 May 04

Hi
I have a virus problem. I have Norton at the moment but wanted something more. Problem is I can't access any sort of website that downloads antivirus software, e.g. grisoft, symantec, trojan remover (link from downlads on this site). I can't even update my Norton definitions. I am able access any other website except, it seems, anyone that could detect/ stop viruses. It's just weird.

I was wondering, is there any virus/ worm/ trojan that could do that?

I just get a message that the page cannot be displayed.

johnnyrocker 00:48 03 May 04

what anti spyware do you have on board?.

johnny.

Axii9 00:53 03 May 04

I have spybot. Updated it. Ran it and deleted everything. I have just managed to get zone alarm downloaded. I am now trying to do an on-line scan with Trend Micro but the page just isn't loading up.

johnnyrocker 00:56 03 May 04

try a google search for stinger (might fool the intruder) top listed result 'networks'or similar and d/load to floppy and run if xp or me disable system restore first.

johnny.

Axii9 01:06 03 May 04

Thanks.

It looks like it should do the job. Shame I haven't got a floppy with this laptop. Ordered one, just hasn't arrived yet. Guess will have to wait till it comes....

How do I disable system restore?

Thanks again.

Bagsey 08:07 03 May 04

Assuming that you are on WinXP got to start, help, pick a task, then system restore.Disable then run Stinger. Dont forget to re-enable Sys Restore when finished.

Wes Tam ;-) 09:25 03 May 04

click here and download to your desktop

Belatucadrus 11:27 03 May 04

click here or click here for a couple of other AV utilities that could help.

Axii9 11:42 03 May 04

Ok. I downloaded stinger to my desktop, disabled system restore, ran stinger, it found: Qhost.apd Trojan -anybody know what this does? Apart from fact that it stopped me updating and accessing any AV.

Norton updates downloading as I write but how did this get through in the firstplace? What can I do to ensure it doesn't again?

Thanks all.

Axii9 11:46 03 May 04

Would one of the free AVs like Grisoft AVG work alongside Norton? I'm thinking maybe Norton alone isn't enough. I have Zone Alarm Pro now too. Am on WinXP.

VoG II 11:54 03 May 04

No - one anti-virus only. More than one may make your system very, very slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017