Virus blocking me accessing websites??

Axii9 00:44 03 May 04

Hi
I have a virus problem. I have Norton at the moment but wanted something more. Problem is I can't access any sort of website that downloads antivirus software, e.g. grisoft, symantec, trojan remover (link from downlads on this site). I can't even update my Norton definitions. I am able access any other website except, it seems, anyone that could detect/ stop viruses. It's just weird.

I was wondering, is there any virus/ worm/ trojan that could do that?

I just get a message that the page cannot be displayed.

johnnyrocker 00:48 03 May 04

what anti spyware do you have on board?.

johnny.

Axii9 00:53 03 May 04

I have spybot. Updated it. Ran it and deleted everything. I have just managed to get zone alarm downloaded. I am now trying to do an on-line scan with Trend Micro but the page just isn't loading up.

johnnyrocker 00:56 03 May 04

try a google search for stinger (might fool the intruder) top listed result 'networks'or similar and d/load to floppy and run if xp or me disable system restore first.

johnny.

Axii9 01:06 03 May 04

Thanks.

It looks like it should do the job. Shame I haven't got a floppy with this laptop. Ordered one, just hasn't arrived yet. Guess will have to wait till it comes....

How do I disable system restore?

Thanks again.

Bagsey 08:07 03 May 04

Assuming that you are on WinXP got to start, help, pick a task, then system restore.Disable then run Stinger. Dont forget to re-enable Sys Restore when finished.

Wes Tam ;-) 09:25 03 May 04

click here and download to your desktop

Belatucadrus 11:27 03 May 04

click here or click here for a couple of other AV utilities that could help.

Axii9 11:42 03 May 04

Ok. I downloaded stinger to my desktop, disabled system restore, ran stinger, it found: Qhost.apd Trojan -anybody know what this does? Apart from fact that it stopped me updating and accessing any AV.

Norton updates downloading as I write but how did this get through in the firstplace? What can I do to ensure it doesn't again?

Thanks all.

Axii9 11:46 03 May 04

Would one of the free AVs like Grisoft AVG work alongside Norton? I'm thinking maybe Norton alone isn't enough. I have Zone Alarm Pro now too. Am on WinXP.

VoG II 11:54 03 May 04

No - one anti-virus only. More than one may make your system very, very slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…