virus blocking all progs from running

howard64 11:49 AM 31 Jul 11

My daughters pc has got a nasty - a false security warning one - it has broken all prog associations and asks what prog you want to run this. I have run malwarebytes from the admin account which has removed a lot but it still will not allow anything to run. It is an xp pro sp3 pc and I have run the xp disk in the repair mode but am still left with the broken prog associations. Does anyone know the next step or is it a reformat and reinstall?

johndrew 12:30 PM 31 Jul 11

The first thing to do is ensure the PC is totally 'clean'.

Have a look at link text or go to Doug's Windows In the left hand column, click WinXP Fixes. Then in the list that comes up, click File Association fixes. Then in the next list that appears, click EXE File Association Fix.

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 PM 31 Jul 11

What is the security warning?

howard64 16:07 PM 31 Jul 11

there is now no security warning - whatever prog you try and run either from the normal menu or a usb disk you get a dialogue box asking what prog you want to run this with. The same as if you right click and then on 'open with'. If I click on the other user account it works normally.

awest3 22:34 PM 31 Jul 11

I had a very similar problem...viz:

From my post:
I got rid of the virus (zbot.g) but still had problems accessing some programs so in the end I did an XP install over the existing installation. I still had to reinstall lots of programs which were not working but being able to now access the internet and attach an external HDD made a big differnce. I've taken an Acronis backup and will keep it safe on one of my drives. At least this way if it happens again I'll be able to get back up and running very quickly.

So after securing the data (not strictly required) I used the XP disk to do a reinstall (this does not remove any data, but backup anyway). I still had to reinstall quite a few programs though to get them to work.

awest3 22:36 PM 31 Jul 11

BTW way..I had to run AVG cd, Malwarbytes, superantispyware and emisoft before I got rid of all the infection.

howard64 08:25 AM 01 Aug 11

thanks all - I believe the pc is now clean'''' I am going to make a new user account and transfer 'my documents' from her old account to the new. If all then works ok I will delete the original account.

howard64 20:03 PM 01 Aug 11

A tech friend forwarded a fix for the broken registry - I unzipped it and ran it - problem solved. Thanks to All for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know