Virus Backdoor.Rsbot affecting MSDOS.EXE

bingers 01:37 19 Aug 03

Trawling the internet tonight when Norton 2001 reports that MSDOS.EXE has been infected with a virus. It refuses to repair and can only quarantine this file. Further investigation with NAV suggests that the file will have to be deleted and replaced with a copy of the original. This may be a silly question but where do I get a copy of the original from without reinstalling the whole OS?

I am running Windows ME (on a machine purchased from Gateway so I have the original Gateway OS back up CD). Unfortunately due to a previous spate of Email viruses I have turned system restore off so cannot use that facility.

Any ideas gratefully received

Taff36 07:45 19 Aug 03

Try this link to Symantec I think it describes your problem.
click here

bingers 10:49 19 Aug 03

Thanks Taff36 but being a bit thick with these things I have 2 questions :-
1. The symantec response refers to a file called 'msapp.exe' being set up (rather than msdos.exe), with registry system.ini file changes all related to msapp.exe. Should I follow these instructions but substitute msdos.exe for msapp.exe at all points?

2. The response sort of inicates that the file infected by the virus is a new one to the PC ie it is not an application currently in place that is infected. Do I need a MSDOS.EXE application file?

bingers 13:33 27 Aug 03

Looks like a FDISK and reinstall is needed!!!

Jester2K II 13:41 27 Aug 03

MSDOS.EXE is the virus. You need to delete it and not replace it.

Can you get into Safe mode?

What is location of the MSDOS.EXE file?

alcudia 14:11 27 Aug 03

For more info on Taff36's link click here try this one.

alcudia 14:13 27 Aug 03

That link didn't work, try this click here instead

bingers 13:48 28 Aug 03

If I boot into safe mode I get the same result - my screen saver with 'safe mode' in each corner, but no start button or menu to select any program/action from

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac