Virus Backdoor.Rsbot affecting MSDOS.EXE

bingers 01:37 19 Aug 03

Trawling the internet tonight when Norton 2001 reports that MSDOS.EXE has been infected with a virus. It refuses to repair and can only quarantine this file. Further investigation with NAV suggests that the file will have to be deleted and replaced with a copy of the original. This may be a silly question but where do I get a copy of the original from without reinstalling the whole OS?

I am running Windows ME (on a machine purchased from Gateway so I have the original Gateway OS back up CD). Unfortunately due to a previous spate of Email viruses I have turned system restore off so cannot use that facility.

Any ideas gratefully received

Taff36 07:45 19 Aug 03

Try this link to Symantec I think it describes your problem.
click here

bingers 10:49 19 Aug 03

Thanks Taff36 but being a bit thick with these things I have 2 questions :-
1. The symantec response refers to a file called 'msapp.exe' being set up (rather than msdos.exe), with registry system.ini file changes all related to msapp.exe. Should I follow these instructions but substitute msdos.exe for msapp.exe at all points?

2. The response sort of inicates that the file infected by the virus is a new one to the PC ie it is not an application currently in place that is infected. Do I need a MSDOS.EXE application file?

bingers 13:33 27 Aug 03

Looks like a FDISK and reinstall is needed!!!

Jester2K II 13:41 27 Aug 03

MSDOS.EXE is the virus. You need to delete it and not replace it.

Can you get into Safe mode?

What is location of the MSDOS.EXE file?

alcudia 14:11 27 Aug 03

For more info on Taff36's link click here try this one.

alcudia 14:13 27 Aug 03

That link didn't work, try this click here instead

bingers 13:48 28 Aug 03

If I boot into safe mode I get the same result - my screen saver with 'safe mode' in each corner, but no start button or menu to select any program/action from

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…