Virus -AVG no can do!

jack 09:25 27 Oct 05

Met a friend yesterday to import pictures from her lappie so that I could make a slide show for her.
In went my flashrive collected images and yes you guessed it a virus as well.
When later I downloaded the drive to my machine
AVG beastie came up with the virus warning-first time I had encountered him - I was given the options to deal - delete -vault etc., but on each turn AVG said - No Can do.
In running a full scan AVG this morning AVG said - No virus- [ Thouigh it report reader errors for Kernal32.dll/ WSock32.dll/ User32.dll /Shell32.dll] is this significant?
So do I have one or not.I have run Stinger
but it says it is out of date - So I set a download any to find it came through as NoAdware v4.0 Whats the next move- chaps?
The machine is running well- but of course am I spreading a bug?

jack 10:40 27 Oct 05

Further deliving revealed that when the folder containing the images was opened up popped the Varus waring again -This time I notices it gave a location and name- it probably did first time - located it the the image folder -natch - named it as 0.SHS
The icon lookedlike the 'Scrap' icon. So i manually deleted it. - So far so good not repeat.
does SHS have any significance?
Should I E-mail the lady and tell her?

TeaBee 11:00 27 Oct 05

Good idea to let her know.

As for SHS, I've no idea. If alls working well leave things be. I expect a more knowledgable someone will raise the alarm if it's relevant.

keith-236785 11:21 27 Oct 05

goto click here and do an online scan, just to double check your system.

you dont say which windows you are using but if you have any problems with progs reporting a corrupt Kernal32.dll/ WSock32.dll/ User32.dll /Shell32.dll] or anything similar then it might pay to run a system file checker (SFC), with windows XP you would insert the windows disc, cancell the autorun and then click start / run and type

sfc /scannow

this runs for a while and may access the windows cd but if it finds nothing it just stops...would be nice for a message to say complete but it doesn't.

i believe its something similar for win98 but im not sure.

do a search on here for sfc in previous threads and see what you can find.

jack 19:50 27 Oct 05

Thank you paper man. Trewnd doesn't work with FireFox
but I have passed it on to the other victim.
Mean while I am now 'clean' - [She assured the Bishop]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…