Virus attack on exe progs

spondoolix 12:21 07 Mar 04

My machine running windows xp home has been attacked by a virus (could be nachi.B)which has disabled all .exe programs. When I attempt to open a program I get error message that reads "windows cannot find......exe". Also I can't open the command prompt...connect to the net...etc etc...how can I fix this?....would greatly appreciate any suggestions

Belatucadrus 12:48 07 Mar 04

Download and run the avast! free anti virus cleaner click here look under the "Solving other problems" chapter for notes on how to run it if your .exe files have been corrupted. It's a small download that fits neatly on a floppy so is easily portable.

spondoolix 13:54 07 Mar 04

...downloaded avast on my other machine which thankfully still had internet access...run the program on infected machine and it detected and removed "Worm/Protoride" and "Worm/Nachi.B"...have rebooted and the system now appears to be stable...am about to try internet access and networking...this time being careful to maintain firewalls etc...again thanks for the quick response...by the way have reported virus to "viruses in the wild"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…