virus attack

edee66 11:48 24 Oct 04

My (other) pc was hit with a virus which although I can boot, I can't do anything at all with any programmes. Does this mean a complete 'restore'. There are things which I never saved and will obviously lose if this is the case.

Thanks for any help

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:53 24 Oct 04

Can you boot into safe mode?

Belatucadrus 12:03 24 Oct 04

Try running the avast virus cleaner click here a small download, easy to put on a floppy disk, with notes on how to run it if your .exe association is corrupt in the paragraph headed 'Solving other problems' at the bottom of the page.

edee66 14:15 24 Oct 04

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions

swampy123 14:47 24 Oct 04

if you have a virus scan disk set the computer to boot from cd-rom and use the virus scan disk it should let you scan from there.

edee66 01:56 25 Oct 04

Thanks Swampy, I will try that, anything in fact. I got into safe mode as Gandalf suggested and could only use the tab key which was very limited. If I did get into a prog it was with limitations. I will try Belatucadrus's prog also which I put on disc. I know this thing is in the 'help' files as the anti-virus showed me the address but said it could nothing.

many thanks

edee66 15:06 28 Oct 04

Just to let you know I had to do a complete reformat. Nothing else seemed to resolve the problem. Thank you for your help nevertheless, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…