VIRUS ALERT

MMH 00:02 18 Apr 05

Hi PC Advisor Forum just a notice if you have not heard about it already

I was sent am email with my own email name being used in the Subject Area. This was allowed by Firewall and the Attachment was not blocked..

The name is "ITs All About You". Avoid opening this as I found out a my own peril. I run Norton Firewall. It disables the firewall and the antivirus.

I ended up having to re-format the C: drive and starting again..

Jak_1 00:55 18 Apr 05

Sounds like a blaster worm or sobig. Reformatting is a last resort but works, however there are ways round it if you have a large abd fairly full HDD.

Best to do things in safe mode.

THE TERMINATOR 01:04 18 Apr 05

Thanks for the advice.

Jak_1 01:38 18 Apr 05

It's a cow when you have to resort to reformatting, the viruses that shut down the AV are a real pain. I now keep all data on a slave drive so if I have a troublesome virus like that I only need to reformat and put the proggies bak on. Though clearing a virus in safe mode, slower but is usually effective.

MMH 01:53 18 Apr 05

I will leave this Warning open for now..

Just Remember that this attachment is not bloacked by the firewall..

DieSse 02:04 18 Apr 05

Firewalls aren't meant to block attachments to emails, it's not their function.

Your AV should have flagged it as a virus. If it didn't then is it up to date both for virus definitions, and version number?

Also, have you downloaded all the Windows updates, many of which are to prevent certain types of virus getting into your system.

rawprawn 10:10 18 Apr 05

Thanks for the warning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…