Virus after virus after virus

staples printer cartridge 09:37 21 Jan 06

I started a thread a little earlier which I thought was resolved click here

So, I have 2 SATA drives and a back up IDE drive. The SATA drives have been written back to zero and no viruses were detected. I installed XP, installeed AVG before I installed my modem and connected to the internet. Evrything seemed to be running smoothly but now evrytime I copnnect I get a virus (a Trojan Horse) in the Windows system. AVG is able to heal it but this means a restart and it seems to just get infected and then another and then another. The computer basically slows to a halt and I have no idea how this can be happening. I have never had trouble with viruses before - it is only since I installed these new drives. Any advice?

PaulB2005 09:41 21 Jan 06

AVG seems to be slipping. I've seen it fail to detect numerous viruses it should have removed - some of which were over 6 months old.

Try Avast - click here for free. You need to register within 15 days but it's still free...

However my preference is to pay for NOD32 click here

VoG II 09:46 21 Jan 06

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

staples printer cartridge 13:49 21 Jan 06

That sounds like good advice, but could it have anything to do with the drives? CAn they be corrupt even if I have written them to zeros?

johnnyrocker 13:56 21 Jan 06

more like they are in restore files try turning offf system restore then scan and remember to turn restore back on.

johnny.

Totally-braindead 13:56 21 Jan 06

Its unlikely, I'm wondering about the virus. Is it the same virus it picks up each time and deletes or is it a different one and do you have all the XP patches installed for security?

staples printer cartridge 14:05 21 Jan 06

The virus is always a Trojan horse and is either an IRC/Backdoor or Backdoor generic for example Backdoor SDBot.SAZ and they all occur in the Windows/system32 for example winPE.exe.

As it started happening as soon as I had me new drives installed I haven't had time to run a full Windows update yet, I thought it more important to make sure AVG was as up to date as possible.

staples printer cartridge 14:25 21 Jan 06

Ok, installed and ran EWido, which found 46 infected objects, which is way more than AVG found. I don't mind paying, but I used Norton for a while and hated it and then moved to AVG and it just happened to be free. Am I better paying for a service such as NOD32 or Ewido? Mostly though why all of a sudden am I inundated with viruses?
I'm gonna put SP2 on and then I may try thr Restore thing suggested by johnnyrocker.
Totally-brained you said unlikely to be the drives, so it is possible?

Totally-braindead 14:34 21 Jan 06

I believe it is possible if you just format but rereading what you said you've written to every part of the hard drive, I can see no way that anything could survive that. The reason I asked about SP2 was. When I built my new PC at Xmas I went online with antivirus installed before I installed the SP2 update and AVG kept flagging up a backdoor virus, this happened everytime I went online. Since I reinstalled SP2 its gone, so one part of SP2 is obviously the patch to close the vunerability that allows this virus in.

staples printer cartridge 16:44 21 Jan 06

I installed sp2 and, htis has happened to me before, my internet connection slows to a virtual halt. I uninsatlled it and it works fine. Now what?

VoG II 16:46 21 Jan 06

With SP2 try turning off the Windows firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…