Virus affected computer, programs lost, dont know

Jug Ears 00:11 14 Jul 09

Hi

Had a virus today, norton detected it went through the steps that norton instructed, was not deleted review said that i might need to scan in safe mode and delete that way. I tried that but still after scanning said virus was still there.

I then downloaded "counter spy" to see if that would help. Downloaded it before scanning asked me to back up registry which i clicked on, then scanned came up with number of entries, i clicked on the clean button. Asked to restart for changes to take effect.

When rebooting, screen came up saying counter spy was doing a scan while booting and told not to cancel. Went on for ages and started looking in the same files etc over and over again. Also said that it tried to delete a file mda.exe but wasnt deleted.

Cancelled after waiting for ages, came up but suddenly i could not access certain programs like norton antivrus, or mozilla, most of my programs or even counter spy??? Also I could not access system restore or add/remove program. The following came up when trying to access add/remove programs

c:/WINDOWS/system32/rundll32.exe

application not found.

This came up on anumber of things.

Would be grateful for any help, get the impression this counter spy has wrecked me computer. Can i rescue the situation from here? If i cant what steps do i need to take to start my computer from scratch?

Once again thanks for any help offered.

John

lotvic 00:19 14 Jul 09

can you still get Safe Mode?

Back up all your documents and data etc to external harddrive if you have one.

Tell us what make and model pc you have and which operating system, XP or Vista?

Jug Ears 01:36 14 Jul 09

Hi

resolved it now, used the following link to fix registry

click here

Thanks

Terry Brown 07:37 14 Jul 09

To make sure your system is clean, download A2free and copy the expanded files to a CD.
Run a2free.exe (from the CD).
This will check your system, and tell you of any problems.

You could also run it direct from the harddrive, but if you have a virus /trogan still on your system it may affect it.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…