Virus definitions are up-to-date.
Never open spam mail.
Can be deleted.
No damage so far!
Virus?
Any ideas?
David.

DieSse 10:25 02 Jul 03

I don't know what causes it, but I suspect a recent Windows update. It's suddenly (over the last month or so) appearing on many systems I look after - not mine though, so I don't know what triggers it either!

Not a virus, but sorry, no other ideas.

Jester2K II 10:26 02 Jul 03

Apparently its a bug in OE.

christmascracker 10:41 02 Jul 03

happens when you either import or export your Winsows address book

christmascracker 10:42 02 Jul 03

should be windows not winsows!!!! silly me

Bellboy 10:49 02 Jul 03

Have not imported address book and have had no very recent MS update?
Might be some harmless cookie?
On the subject of MS update. I seem to be getting frequent "Microsoft Security patches" sent by e-mail which are identified by Norton as a Virus. I transferred to floppy and ran virus checker, but did not open file.
David.

the file seems to turn up if you reply to any message in your inbox with the option to automatically save the address in the address book enabled. the general concensus of opinion in this and other threads on the subject is that this is safe and can just be deleted. instal the latest cumulative patch for IE, it might help.

ignore any unsolicited emails from microsoft.com that have an attachment, delete them straight away do not open them.

Andsome 12:00 02 Jul 03

I agree with horiz5 regarding Microsoft e-mails. They DO NOT EVER send e-mails and attachments regarding security. The only time you will hear from microsoft is if you are configured to receive notification of security updates, and these will not come as e-mails, jsut as a warning with a small icon at the bottom of the screen. At lease that is how I receive them, having configured my computer this way.

Bellboy 14:42 02 Jul 03

Thanks Chaps, (or Chapesses if applicable).
David

wee eddie 20:48 02 Jul 03

~ file is put on your desktop whenever you use the Reply function in OE.

No one has yet reported any problem in deleting it. Neither has anyone identified at which point it started to appear

Stuartli 21:03 02 Jul 03

These might prove the answere:

click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…