virus

golfpro 07:39 04 Jan 03
  golfpro 07:39 04 Jan 03

Does anyone know of a virus [email protected] sender "target.sct" my Norton AV picked it up this morning on an email, it has been isolated before opening, I think I may have been sent this a couple of times in the last few days, but didn't make a note of the address.

powerless 07:42 04 Jan 03

Well these people know about it. How about you click here and just wait a few seconds.

golfpro 08:10 04 Jan 03

WOW! thanks powerless, But how do I stop this virus being sent to me again, or is this not poss.

jazzypop 08:14 04 Jan 03

If you know the person who sent it to you, you can call them and let them know - it is very unlikely that they even know they have the virus.

Otherwise, you cannot prevent it being sent to you - but as you obviously have an up to date Norton setup, it won't cause you any harm, as evidenced by the fact that Norton advised you of it's presence and quarantined it before it could do any harm.

powerless 08:15 04 Jan 03

If you know the people who are sending you the infected email. Tell them about it, they may not even know there computer is infected with a virus.

Apart from that theres nothing you can do, just keep that Norton AV up-to-date and you'll be ok. Thats all you can do. Dont look an email if you dont know who its from, it could be just a harmless email, but it could be an infected one so just be cautious.

hoverman 08:18 04 Jan 03

You can't stop it being sent to you again. The best defence is to have reliable antivirus software installed and keep it up to date. I had the klez virus attached to four e-mails last year but thankfully Norton AV picked it up.

golfpro 08:29 04 Jan 03

Thanks everyone, the only address on the email was "target.sct" I havn't a clue who this is, but I have put a block on this and all the other file extentions that may contain the bugger through my email providor.

anchor 09:00 04 Jan 03

New virus`s now appear so frequently that a regular update of the definition files is essential.

Both my outgoing and incoming e-mails are scanned by Norton, (2002).

Norton produce updates every working day, and I download these from:

click here

Norton Live Update is only updated once weekly; this why I do it daily.

jazzypop 09:08 04 Jan 03

Anchor's advice is sound, but just to expand a little....

Norton's LiveUpdate normally releases a weekly update each Wednesday. However, when Symantec decide that the current virus threat is 'High', they will release the latest definitions immediately.

The Intelligent Updater definitions are available daily, Monday to Friday, and as Anchor says are available for manual download immediately.

hoverman 09:32 04 Jan 03

One other thing I forgot to mention. I use Mailwasher to sort out spam mail. When this utility is launched it just downloads the e-mail headers so that the user can identify what is spam and what is normal mail. On one occasion it had the word 'Virus' in red letters in the Status column. To check this I used Outlook Express to retrieve the e-mail and sure enough Norton AV intercepted the Klez virus. In future I will use Mailwasher to delete any such e-mail immediately at the server end without having to download it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…