Is this a virus

BIGXXH 20:11 09 Oct 10

I have a problem this icon appeared on my tool bar and i don't know what it is it has a blue shield with a cross going through it i have tried to get rid of it but it keeps asking for me to buy it and wants my credit card details i have gone to system restore it won;t let me do that it is not a program as it.s not downloaded anywhere and every time i click on it it dose a system scan and asks me to purchase any body got any ideas as to what it is and how to get rid (running windows xp).

Thanks in advance

BIGXXH

P/S Have also tried aspire restore and re boot it won't let me go back to factory settings.

OTT_B 20:37 09 Oct 10

Sounds very malware-esque.

Boot into safe mode and do a system restore.

BIGXXH 20:58 09 Oct 10

OTT-B

Thanks for your input into my problem but every time i try to do a system restore it won.t let me can.t even get into safe mode, i have done all scans for viruses and nothing has come up, any more help out there thanks.

BIGXXH

lotvic 21:24 09 Oct 10

sounds like you've got malware, rogue anti-spyware, see the list of guides and how to get rid of them on click here

you can download the free Malwarebytes prog to remove them.

It could be the 'My Security Shield' malware you have, screenshot from removal guide click here

onthelimit 21:24 09 Oct 10

When you put the cursor over the shield, does it say what the program is?

onthelimit 21:26 09 Oct 10

I'm sure you're correct.

lotvic 21:37 09 Oct 10

we'll have to wait until BIGXXH tells us what it says when hovering the cursor over the shield ;-)

BIGXXH 22:16 09 Oct 10

Thank YOU All

What it says when you put the cursor over it, a error mesage pops up saying trying to pass on your credit card details.What would that be all about i have not got a clue relying on you good people out there.

BIGXXH

chub_tor 22:32 09 Oct 10

Could this be the same problem you have? click here

BIGXXH 22:42 09 Oct 10

Mine has a blue shield with a cross through it don't know if that's the same as your link as that one says line through the shield.

BIGXXH

lotvic 23:10 09 Oct 10

It could be this one click here
Well the good news is that the message is a fake, designed to make you panic and buy their fake software.
more good news is that no matter which flavour of the fake security, the solution is the same.

Go to link and follow the instructions. Download Malwarebytes program from the link provided (cnet, download.com)

When installed ignore the prompts to upgrade to the paid for version, the free one is all you need. If any problems running mBam.exe just rightclick it and rename it to something else, such as Rabbit.exe (some crafty rogue programs have learnt the name and block it from running under it's proper name)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017