Is this a virus?

cowgirl66 16:25 26 Apr 07

Does anybody have any ideas as to why I might be seeing "emplibfile on www dot solinet dot net" in My Network Places in the Start Menu?

Don't let the way i've typed it confuse you. In reality the text is the actual website address. An icon is there too; looks like a file dropping into a folder attached to a horizontal bar.

Technotiger 16:29 26 Apr 07

Hi, I have googled Solinet, it appears to be a legitimate Information Library among other things.

cowgirl66 16:30 26 Apr 07

so why is it in My Network Places?

skidzy 16:32 26 Apr 07

As per Techno says,if you right click on this "emplibfile" under properties...what does it say ?

Are you sure its not a pdf file ?

It seems to lean towards Disasters of the enviroment.

cowgirl66 16:40 26 Apr 07

Properties says it's a folder and its target is \\W w w.solinet.net\emplibfile. (Ignore the spaces between the w's but i had to do that so you could see the address rather than 'click here' lol.

It was created on 17th April 2007.

Technotiger 16:40 26 Apr 07

It is a site in Atlanta on the Gulf Coast (Gulf of Mexico) .... have you ever made any donations perhaps, towards the catastrophic flood that occurred in that area?

Technotiger 16:42 26 Apr 07

If it does not mean anything to you, then why not just delete it.

Technotiger 16:43 26 Apr 07

or - try a System Restore back to before the 17th April.

skidzy 16:44 26 Apr 07

Have you actually visited this site ? again as Techno says delete it.

I have tried the link and the report is:
The website declined to show this page/forbidden.

Technotiger 16:52 26 Apr 07

I have Googled that actual site - without the spaces, this is the Google page that I came up with (it is quite safe to open this page - it is only from Google)

click here

Does this give you any clue as to how it came to be on your pc?

Technotiger 16:59 26 Apr 07

odd - I didn't get anything about page/forbidden? Even after I opened it from that Google page - everything certainly appears to be legit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac