Is this a Virus?

recap 14:22 22 Apr 05

Computer running W98Se.

Will not boot up in to Windows.

Will not boot in to Safe Mode.

When ever I try to boot the system up I get the following error messages:

C:/WindowsSystem/CRTDLL.DLL

And

Error loading Explorer.exe. You must Install Windows.

Any suggestions anybody?

stalion 14:29 22 Apr 05

do you have any orther means to download the dll? you can get it here for your windows system folder click here

Yoda Knight 14:35 22 Apr 05

Re-install windows over the existing version

recap 14:41 22 Apr 05

Thanks stalion, the problem is that if I do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete to end task Explorer is not there, in both modes.

Yoda Knight, there are two problems with that, 1) the is too much data on that has not been backup. 2) Cannot get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence as there is a password required, of which I do not have. Trying to boot up in normal mode with the OS disc in, but it will not get past the boot sequence.

stuc100 14:47 22 Apr 05

I had this problem after updating ATI video driver. Sorry to say I had to do a complete restore.

All I could do is install a second hard drive then using windows boot disk xcopy everything I needed to the new drive. If I'd had proper backups it wouldn't have been a problem, just a pain in the ...

recap 14:49 22 Apr 05

Thanks stuc100, I think this is what is going to be called for here. That's if I can get into it.

Yoda Knight 14:56 22 Apr 05

1. Re-installing Windows over itself (not deleting the original !) will just replace damaged/lost files, so you dont need a backup.

2. There are ways to overcome the password in the BIOS problem... Do you have a bootable floppy with cd drivers, or can you get access to the net and get a such a disk from bootdisk.com ?

With Windows 98, I always found you are better having all the install files saved to a directory on your hard drive for a few reasons, this being one of them :)

recap 14:59 22 Apr 05

Thanks Yoda Knight, what am I thinking.

You are right.

Thanks for the prompting.

stuc100 15:00 22 Apr 05

If you cannot get the boot disk to work then find a linux live CD. If you have NTFS drive then you will have to find one which will support this plenty on click here

Just burn one as bootable CD then you can use this to start your system as a linux machine straight from the CD.

Yoda Knight 15:09 22 Apr 05

:)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 22 Apr 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…