Virus

phil.smith 11:11 19 Jan 04

I have just been told that I have passed from my home email (I'm on my work one at the moment) on a virus to other email addresses that I do not know or have ever sent to.

The virus is W32Bagle-A

Any thoughts please?

Jester2K 11:13 19 Jan 04

Up date your anti virus???

What exactly is your question?

Jester2K 11:13 19 Jan 04
  phil.smith 12:15 19 Jan 04

Thanks for that - it is exctly what has happened but is the virus on the computer that received the emails or on the original sender i.e my home computer? ie where has the virus originated from?

Phil

AndyJ 12:20 19 Jan 04

It could be on someone's machine who has you in their address book i.e. a third party, and it's taken your address from there and "spoofed" it onto the email.

Scan your own machine (make sure your virus definitions are up-to-date) and if it's not there then this is the most likely cause.

Jester2K 12:21 19 Jan 04

If you got an e-mail saying you sent the virus then its not you.

Someone who knows you has the virus as its being sent in your name.

Just delete the messages as they come in.

Maybe send a message to all your contacts telling them about this. Stinger will remove the virus click here

AndyJ 12:28 19 Jan 04

Incidentally, a lot of these worms pick the first entry in your address book; so if you create yourself a bogus email in your address book, making sure it's top of the list, you'll know if your pute is trying to send out as it'll be rejected as non-existant.

To make sure it appears at the top, call it Aaaaaa.worm or something

Jester2K 12:30 19 Jan 04

Except most of them don't.

TOPCAT® 12:37 19 Jan 04

Here's some info on the little blighter. TC.

click here

canard 12:45 19 Jan 04

Kaspersky labs identified this and there is an article in The Register largely amounting to bin the email with subject line of test and an attachment.

spuds 18:01 19 Jan 04

Check this out click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…