is this a virus

merc. 12:10 20 Nov 03

just had e-mail from pal to say his address book has been infected with a virus named jdbgmgr.exe
on serching through files it was there with the icon of a teddy bear i have deleted it without open it will i have to e-mail all pepole in my address book to look out for it. he also says that norton or mcAfee cant detect it'

Merc

The Spires 12:12 20 Nov 03

It is a hoax... Do not delete it, strangly enough but the Teddy Bear should be there. Have a click here

Terrahawk 12:13 20 Nov 03

its a hoax just delete the email

geeza 12:13 20 Nov 03

look here
click here

The Spires 12:18 20 Nov 03

As it looks like you have deleted the Bear as the Microsoft article says: 'NOTE: If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file, in most cases, you do not need to re-install it'. So don't panic your system will be ok, but in future delete such junk straight away as there are many other mails floting around telling you do do harmful things. If in doubt check on here first or on the Symantec site.

merc. 12:26 20 Nov 03

Thanks for replys, I have deleted the file, computer is still working but what will i have to watch out for as to what this file is used for in the futher. have not sent e-mails to any one in my address book so that is one problem less.

Merc

leo49 12:30 20 Nov 03

From the Spires link:

"The following quote is extracted from the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Virus Hoax: Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) Is Not a Virus (Q322993)."

"The Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) is only used by Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 developers.

If you follow the e-mail message instructions and delete this file, you do not have to recover it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95."

So unless you write software programs, I shouldn't worry about it.

merc. 12:32 20 Nov 03

Spires
sorry did not read all of the symantec page I see it is for visial which I dont have on computer
Merc

merc. 12:34 20 Nov 03

To all

thanks for replys mind at rest now.

Merc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…