Virus 101010

onthelimit1 17:47 09 May 12
Answered

XP PC. Owner called by ‘Microsoft’ and allowed them to access his computer. When he (finally!) became suspicious, pulled the plug. On restart, a popup appeared with a 10min countdown running ‘You are infected by virus 101010 – computer will close down in 10mins’ . Ran MBAM etc, but no go. Finally cleared the countdown by running Combofix.

PC runs OK now, but a spurious popup appears after boot. If try to close it down, another appears ‘WARNING…’ etc which cannot be closed down. Its annoying. I can get rid of it by ending WScript.exe in Task Manager, so, any ideas please?

KRONOS the First 18:17 09 May 12

As far I can see Virus 101010 was little more than a prank. Virus 101010

onthelimit1 18:55 09 May 12

Yes, that's true back then, but this one was installed by the 'erberts in India and forced a shutdown after 10minsafter each boot. As I said, the remaining popup is more of a nuisance than anything, but I'd like to get rid of it before I hand the PC back if I can.

john bunyan 19:11 09 May 12
Answer

Have you tried a Restore to before the "infection" arose?

onthelimit1 19:44 09 May 12

Not yet, but I will. Thanks for reminding me!

onthelimit1 19:54 09 May 12

Thanks for the prompy, John - whatever 'India' downloaded has been removed by System Restore.

KRONOS the First 20:03 09 May 12

My apologies,I did not read your original post correctly.

john bunyan 21:14 09 May 12

Glad it worked but if there are any later restore points after the infection, don't forget to delete them and make a new one with the clean system.

onthelimit1 21:34 09 May 12

Thanks - have done.

prompy? Where's the edit button we were promised two years ago?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Samsung Galaxy S7 deals: Where to buy Galaxy S7 & Galaxy S7 Edge

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Toca Boca designed the characters, UX and gameplay for Toca Dance

Complete guide to Time Machine: How to set up Time Machine on your Mac, master its features,…