Virtual XP "Locked out"

redeyenewby 12:59 31 Jan 10

I have an e-Machines laptop with Microsoft Vista and have installed Microsoft Windows 7 Professional. The CPU is Intel Pentium Dual core 2.0 GHz. When I tried to download Vitual XP from the internet I was told I had not enough vitual memory so I increased my virtual memory to 2GB. Now, hen I try to download virtual XP (checking that my system will support it) I am told Yes it can support V XP but then it has No - reason given is the PC is "locked out". What exactly does that mean and how do I overcome it- if possible? The Win7 I installed is 32bit but, using BeLarc I find that it is 64 bit ready. What is the problem> Is it hardware or software? Thanks Guys (in anticipatiom).redeyenewby

GaT7 14:44 31 Jan 10

What CPU do you have exactly?

Only CPUs that support hardware virtualisation (HV) will be able to run Windows Virtual PC.

There are 2 ways to find out whether your CPU supports HV or not:

1. View Intel's list for HV support click here to see if your CPU is supported, or

2. Run any one of these tools click here / click here.

If you have a CPU that supports HV, then this feature will need enabling in the BIOS in order for XP Mode & Windows Virtual PC to work. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5