virtual memory??? why

raggy 2 18:42 08 Dec 04

my machine keeps coming up with "memory low" so virtual memory used, why is this happenening and how do i get some memory back, I am on XP with a 2gig processor 256mb memory and 40g hard drive, it has taken me 3 days to get here as when i open programms it crashes.
Thanks in advance

Bob Bob™ 18:56 08 Dec 04

Go to Control panel - System - Advanced - Performance - Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory - Change. If it is set No paging file put it to system managed size. If it is set to system managed size change it to Custom size. Put initial to 150 more than currently allocated (at bottom of window). And max size to 150 over Inatial size. If that does not fix it you have a bigger problem that I can not fix.

Dorsai 19:38 08 Dec 04

spybot click here

adaware click here

a squared. click here

To make sure you have no malware on your PC.

256Mb with Xp is a bit on the small side to be honest. you might well need just more RAM.

512Mb in total seems to be the recomended for XP.

But try the 3 suggested programs 1st. download each 1 in turn and run it. that may well solve the problem.

Gemma 21:02 08 Dec 04

The most common cause of low memory messages is that the file normal.dot that Word uses to store document settings etc. gets corrupted. The fix is simple. Search for normal.dot and then delete it. The search could well find three or more in various folders. Delete them all. When you next use Word, it will be recreated.

If you don't use Word then one of your applications has a "memory leak" i.e. it is using memory and not releasing it. In a relatively short time your system will grind to a halt.

Figure out what is new or recently installed and address the problem by elimination.

Don't fiddle with the virtual memory settings, leave it to Windows.

woodchip 21:08 08 Dec 04

Try running MSCONFIG from run box, Startup tab and shut some background programs down, remove ticks to stop them loading at boot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…