Virtual memory, what is it please.

Meshuga 18:39 25 Apr 06

My daughter has just rung me and said that suddenly she gets a popup every time she boots up which says, Virtual memory low. I haven`t the faintest idea so can someone tell me what it is what needs to be done about it please.

Jackcoms 18:50 25 Apr 06
  mentalguy66 18:50 25 Apr 06

virtual memory takes the place of RAM when it gets low. your problem is that your PC doesn't have enough virtual memory. try to tell me how much RAM your PC has, and i will be happy to assist. if you don't know how to find this info, follow these steps:
1. Hold down the Windows Key and press 'R'
2. Type 'dxdiag' without the quotes.
3. If a dialouge box appears, click YES
4. Under RAM, it should have a number of MB, such as 512MB.
5. Then, tell me that number and i will be able to help you.

GaT7 18:52 25 Apr 06

Tell her to try increasing virtual memory (assuming it's WinXP) click here or click here or click here. G

Meshuga 19:08 25 Apr 06

Thanks to all who have replied. There is far more to this than I imagined and since my daughter lives in spain and I`m in uk it would involve too much back and forth questioning and most questions asked usually bring replies of Don`t know Dad so I`m going to advise her to get a local engineer to deal with it. Since I don`t understand it I could not advise her. I thank you all for your trouble. Regards, Meshuga.

Mikè 21:12 25 Apr 06

tell her to post on this forum, and we will take her through what needs to be done.

Meshuga 21:34 25 Apr 06

Hi Mike, she is a member of this forum so I don`t know why she asked me instead of the forum. I will tell her when she phones me next Being totally non technical where PCs are concerned she is lost when things go wrong. It was only recently that she download any windows updates for XP and doesn`t know if she has sp1 or sp2. Thank you anyway for your reply.

VoG II 21:38 25 Apr 06

Please see click here as I cannot be bothered to type it all out again.

Meshuga 06:56 26 Apr 06

Many thanks VoG, I will tell my daughter.

dogbreath1 07:08 26 Apr 06

Has VoG™ just become GoM™?? LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…