Virtual memory size

CurlyWhirly 19:38 23 Apr 05

Hi,
I have recently upgraded to 1.5 Gb of RAM and I have looked at various articles on the internet about this topic, but I am still none the wiser to be honest.
I currently have my pagefile (virtual memory) setting at 256 Mb and what I was wondering was should I make my page file at LEAST as big as my physical memory size or should I just change it to 'System managed file' i.e. leave Windows XP manage the file size?

Is XP efficient at managing large amounts of RAM i.e. would the BEST setting be 'System managed file' or does it NOT matter what size it is set at?
Just curious!

stalion 19:44 23 Apr 05
  CurlyWhirly 19:55 23 Apr 05

Thanks for replying Stalion.
It looks as if my page file size is set too low so I have selected 'System managed file' and I will let XP look after it.
Though in the Performance options, the recommended size of the pagefile is 2302 Mb which is nearly 2.5 Gb which does seem a bit extreme however ...

stalion 19:58 23 Apr 05

the site I posted recommends five times your memory size
Regards

stalion 20:00 23 Apr 05

best to let windows manage it
Regards

CurlyWhirly 20:04 23 Apr 05

Thanks again.
I was just commenting that my current setting of 256 Mb is WAY below the recommended setting of 2302 Mb or roughly 1.5 times physical RAM.

To be honest, if I set my pagefile size to be managed by the operating system, I don't think that there's ANY limit to how big the pagefile can be apart from the size of the hard drive!
You say that 5 times my memory size is recommended, well that works out at 7.5 Gb which would take up nearly 10% of my hard drive space! Crikey.

CurlyWhirly 20:05 23 Apr 05

Stalion
best to let windows manage it Regards

That's what I intend doing. Regards to you too!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:09 23 Apr 05

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with 1GB ram and the pagefile disabled. So far, about a week, I have had no problems and programs load much faster.

stalion 20:26 23 Apr 05

correction the site says 1.5 times not five times apologies for that.Also more info here
click here

CurlyWhirly 00:20 24 Apr 05

To close, does anybody know if XP uses physical RAM as a priority over the page file? i.e. does Windows XP always try to make the most of ANY available RAM?

Mr Mistoffelees 08:30 24 Apr 05

It certainly didn't for me. I would often find only around 230MB is system ram but more than that in pagefile even though I have 1GB of ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…