virtual memory running low and system running slow

jo.o 22:08 28 Mar 06

Hi,
I am new to pcadvisor and was hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I am operating on system XP and I keep getting a message at the bottom right hand side of my toolbar saying virtual memory is running low. My system also seems to be very very slow. I have disk defragged and run disk cleaner and also delete my cookies daily but this does not seem to alter the problem. I do not have a lot of things stored onto my computer so I cannot seem to understand how the virtual memory is running low. I have also done a system restore numerously aswell and after an hour or sow the system just keeps slowing down again. I do have a anti virus installed on my pc and have scanned and it says I do not have any viruses. Please can someone give me some advice.
Thanks
Jo.o

ACOLYTE 22:10 28 Mar 06

How much system ram does your pc have?

Usually you see this message when the system has used all the ram and is using the hard drive as memory,installing more ram should fix it,as you say you dont have a lot of programs installed i would think you have a small amount of ram,or a small hard drive.

ACOLYTE 22:28 28 Mar 06

Reply by email:

Hi, I am not sure, I am not really that clued up on that side of computers. It is not an old computer we have only had it for 2 years. How will I be able to check for the Ram? Thanks

it's always best to keep the answers in the post then everyone can see and particpate in it,it may also help other's with the same problem,although i have no problem recieving emails from forum members it is not generally accepted that u contact s1 by email unless asked to do so).

Anyway to your question,to check the amount of Ram in the pc, right click the My Computer icon on the desktop and select properties on the properties box that open's you should see the amount of Ram and the CPU installed on your pc at the bottom.

ACOLYTE 22:30 28 Mar 06

P.S

forgot to say "Welcome to the Forum"

jo.o 22:34 28 Mar 06

Hi sorry about that.
I have just checked and it says celeron (R) cpu 2.20GHZ 2.19GHZ 256MB of RAM.
Does that mean anything to you?
Thanks
Jo.o

ACOLYTE 22:57 28 Mar 06

256Mb is not a lot of Ram,it is a bare minimum to run XP,so i would say this is the course of your problem adding more ram should stop this message,and give your pc a speed boost.I would add at least another 256Mb but the more the better really.

jo.o 22:58 28 Mar 06

Ok, great. So how do I go about doing that?
Thanks
Jo.o

ACOLYTE 23:03 28 Mar 06

That depends on your motherboard type and what type of Ram you have now click here
download and install this let it run and it should tell you all about your pc and whats installed.Then post back with your motherboard make and model.

jo.o 23:13 28 Mar 06

Would this be the main circuit board? If so the information is:-
Trigem Computer inc imperial 2.03
BIOS Phoenix
Thanks
Jo.o

ACOLYTE 23:19 28 Mar 06

I have to say i have never heard of that lol,so
click here go here and run the scan this should tell you the compatable ram for your pc.

jo.o 23:30 28 Mar 06

Hi,
It is an emachines imperial motherboard. I guess I will have to purchase an upgrade then and get someone to do it for me.
Thanks
Jo.o

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5