Virtual memory paging file size..help!?

phil2816 11:52 22 Aug 06

Hey...I recently cleaned up p.c and forgot to note down 'initial size' and 'maximum size' of paging file for my C: drive. Does anyone know what it should be?Please let me know if you need any details about my pc to help! Thanks!

terryf 11:54 22 Aug 06

The rule of the thumb is 1.5 times the amount of system memory

phil2816 11:57 22 Aug 06

Is that for initial size or maximum size?In which case what is the other one. When you say system memory do you mean size of C drive only? (sorry little slow with pc's) Thanks

FelixTCat 12:04 22 Aug 06

phil2816,

You can use System managed size without problem - XP will then only use as much as it needs.

Regards,

Felix

phil2816 12:11 22 Aug 06

thanks Felix..although my computer seems rather slugish lately..could that have anything to do with it?

FelixTCat 12:51 22 Aug 06

phil,

It might. You can do a few other tings which might help:

- empty the Recycle Bin

- empty the Temp folder

- clear the Temporary Internet files and reduce the size allocated to them.

I you have 2 hard drives in your pc it can speed things up by having the paging file on a different drive from the system.

Regards,

Felix

brundle 12:56 22 Aug 06

only helps if the drives are on separate ide channels

click here

exodus 14:24 22 Aug 06

Is that for initial size or maximum size?In which case what is the other one. When you say system memory do you mean size of C drive only? (sorry little slow with pc's) Thanks phil2816

It means 1.5 times your physical (ram) memory installed. Try setting your minimum and maximum settings to the same value. This will reserve a page file area on your hard drive.

If in any doubt, just let Windows manage your virtual memory.

phil2816 14:31 22 Aug 06

If you have 2 hard drives in your pc it can speed things up by having the paging file on a different drive from the system. - Felix

I have a C and D drive so im guessing i do have 2 hard drives?How do I have the paging file on a diff drive from system? (I have done all the other checks, thanks) regards, phil

FelixTCat 14:50 22 Aug 06

phil2816,

Having a C: and D: drive doesn't mean that you have 2 hard drives - one may be a DVD ;)

You may even have one hard drive which is partitioned into 2 "drives" (actually, 2 partitions on one drive, like dividing the drive into 2 parts).

You can set the virtual memory on any hard drive or partition you like - highlight the drive you want it on and tell Windows the size, or let it choose. Make sure that you tell it to have no virtual drive on all the others.

Regards,

Felix

terryf 22:50 22 Aug 06

Defrag your drives.
Go to My Computer and right click, select properties>hardware>device manager>disk drives. This will tell you if you have 2 separate drives. If you have, close that window and click on advanced>performance settings>advanced>virtual memory Change. I have mine set as follows with 1 gb ram, others may disagree with my settings. c: Custom size initial 2 max 2 then click on set, click on D: custom size initial 2048 max 2048 click on set , OK and close system properties windows. You will then have to re-boot for the settings to take effect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple